Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started my fish less Cycle 3 weeks ago, I used a bio boost and added a few flakes of food to begain with. Now my ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates are sky high! I cannot figure out where all the ammonia is coming from. I have live plants and they have started melting! I trim the dead parts off daily but no idea why they are dying. Could the high ammonia and nittrite be killing them? It seems like I have some bacteria because I started with 0 nitrite and nitrates and now they are high as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

45 gallons, 28x12x32

Ammonia- 8+
Nitrite- 5+
Nitrite- 20
pH - 8.2

Should I do a water change? But I didn't think you did water changes during a cycle.

·
Super Moderator
1,863 Posts
Yes do at least a 50% water change to drop all the levels by 50%. Normally you do not do water changes during a fish less cycle but your ammonia is way too high.

Are you using the Fish-less cycling article from the C-F Library? If not, click the link in my signature to go directly to the article. Also check out the FAQ's in the article as they should answer your questions.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Flake food is not a good source of ammonia. It feeds fungus, mold, and the wrong type of bacteria. Any protein in it has to break down into amino acids and then those have to break down into ammonia. By that time, all the bad things you don't want have a head start. Do read the articles you have been provided. A 50% water change, followed by another calculated to bring down ammonia levels is critical. More ammonia is not better. The cycle bacteria "eat" ammonia you could say. But they have resistance to it, not immunity. Too much will put them into a state of hiatus. Above that, it becomes toxic to them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thank you I will do a water change tomorrow morning.
I only used 2-4 flakes of food about 3 weeks ago and haven't added any since yet still the ammonia is rising. Any idea where all this ammonia could be coming from? And is the high ammonia and nitrite the reason my plants seem to be melting away?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.