Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have had this issue in the past and never really know the best way to handle it. I have a couple fish that have moderate avulsions or abrasions - bad enough that if left in the tank, they'd be worn down. Both of them are healthy, color is good and they're acting alright. For now, I have each of them in separate breeder baskets, but I hate to keep them there until they heal, that will take a while. So, what do you recommend, and is there anything I can do to speed the healing process?

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Depending on how bad it is you may be able to get away with improved water conditions and Melafix. Do you know how they became injured? If it was through aggression then you may need to make some stocking changes to your tank. Also they may have a difficult time recovering if the aggression continues. Even being in the breeder net, sometimes the aggressor can still get at them and at the very least he/she 'vibe them out' further stressing the injured fish and making it harder for them to heal.

If the injuries become infected then you'll need to treat with an antibiotic. Signs of infection are white fuzzy growth around the injury, the injury getting larger, redder and the fish losing interest in eating and not swimming around as much. You need to stay right on top of a fish with an open wound or any kind of injury as some infections move pretty fast.

Increased water movement along with daily/every other day partial water changes using a good quality dechlorinator may be enough for now. And Melafix. Feed sparingly until the fish is healed.

Robin

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now, I have them in separate breeder baskets in a 180 gallon tank. I don't have another tank to separate them into so I can treat them. What about a five gallon bucket with a small HOB filter? I've lost a couple fish in buckets before, so is there any secrets?

Also, the head injury on one of them seems like it was cut or something... don't know if he was attacked or hit a rock.

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
I use 5G bucket with established filter and heater for single-fish hospital tank in a pinch. Never lost a fish. Maybe your bucket fish are just unable to recover from whatever the illness was?

What is causing these scrapes? If they hit a rock, no need for the breeder net. They can have the run of the tank and clean water will allow them to recover. Do you suspect it might be aggression?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have suspected aggression in the past, but thought I had most of that resolved... maybe not, though. I don't have an established filter to use on the 5 gallon bucket, but I'm using a small HOB filter with the water filtering through a pantyhose filled with aquarium sand from the tank, so hopefully that will help some with ammonia. I also have a heater in there at about 78 degrees and a bubbler...

Think that's good?

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
A filter that is not established is fine as long as you test the water daily and do 100% changes as required to keep ammonia, nitrite and nitrate at zero.

If it's not aggression they are better off in the tank. If it IS aggression you probably won't be able to return them to the tank unless whatever is causing the problem is solved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.