Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Can anyone please identify this fish for my, it was sold to me as a Bolivian Ram but I don't believe it is, I have and idea what it is but would like confirmation if possible. Also if it is what I think it is will it be ok with the other fish I have in my tank? I have the following in a 380L tank
Harlequin Rasbora
White skirt Tetra
Black widow Tetra
Neon Tetra
Albino Cory
Pearl Gourami
Blue Gourami
Bristlenose Pleco
Talking catfish
Bolivian Ram
Thank you for your help.
Karl

Fin Water Fish Underwater Marine biology

·
Super Moderator
2,684 Posts
Hello.
And welcome to Cichlid-Forum! :)
-
You have a Thoricthys meeki, Firemouth Cichlid. This Central American species is colorful and pretty. But unfortunately, comes with a bit of an attitude and may not play nice or well with the other, more peaceful occupants of your aquarium.
And yes, I would definitely return or trade that Firemouth Cichlid back in for a Mikrogeophagus altinospinosus, Bolivian Ram. That is a species that will be a MUCH easier-going and peaceful Cichlid resident for your community tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, That is the fish I thought it was, Its a very beautiful fish but it does have a go at everything in the aquarium and its only small at the moment I guess as it gets bigger its going to cause problems

·
Super Moderator
2,684 Posts
Oh yes! Bigger size = definitely bigger attitude! Firemouth Cichlids can more than hold their own with Convicts, Cutteri, Honduran Red Points and even larger Vieja species in a mixed community 'Tough Guy' (or Grrrlll) tank.
A species that is definitely not recommended for keeping in your more peaceful community set up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts