Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Just joined and just getting into keeping malawi's.
And need some help id'ing this fish please, also would this be a male or female? Guessing a male.

"PICCY BELOW"

many thanx in advance
Ben
:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm new at this as well but I came across a profile and thought it might be your fish.

Labidochromis sp. "Mbamba" , Check out the third picture of the male.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mate, thanx for the info, I did spot that one, although very simlar, the Labidochromis sp. "Mbamba" has a lot more yellow in their tails than mine,
although maybe mine's a youngen and this will come with age?

but def the nearest match so far,,
thank you

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Young Cynotilapia afra (no variant just the usual tank bred variant cross) would be my guess as I think these are more common in LFSs in the UK than Labidochromis sp. "Mbamba".

Just a guess, too many BB Mbuna look the same to me. :oops: :)

Though to be honest I find these hard to tell from some young BB Metriaclima zebras TB (variant cross) also a common fish in LFSs here. :oops:

Mouth looks wrong for Labidochromis sp. "Mbamba" to me.

All the best James

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx for the info guys,,
he's a couple of extra pictures, now a bit bigger if it sheds anymore light
thanx again
Ben
:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
24Tropheus said:
Young Cynotilapia afra (no variant just the usual tank bred variant cross) would be my guess as I think these are more common in LFSs in the UK than Labidochromis sp. "Mbamba".

Just a guess, too many BB Mbuna look the same to me. :oops: :)

Though to be honest I find these hard to tell from some young BB Metriaclima zebras TB (variant cross) also a common fish in LFSs here. :oops:

Mouth looks wrong for Labidochromis sp. "Mbamba" to me.

All the best James
Hey James, How do,, Nice and local i see. Just wondered where you get your fish from?
Cheers
Ben

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Hi,
BCA, EACG. auctions contacts etc. Fishy Friends Basildon aint bad for Malawis from Holland. And have ordered stuff in for me in the past.
This guy http://www.riftvalleycichlids.com/ for real good stuff not generally available but mainly into Tang cichlids now.
I hear this place is good for Malawis http://www.uksmallbusinessdirectory.co. ... nyID=98355 but have to confess due to the lack of tang cichlids there I have not checked em out fully.
Forum looks Ok but quite new.
http://www.riftforum.com/viewforum.php?f=50

Sorry I can not help more on the Id of your guy. BB Mbuna are not realy my thing.

All the best James

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey James, thanx for that mate,, Just getting into keeping Malawi's from community keeping
first started posting on the rift forums,, met a few bods already, and checked out SSA over in Stevenage,
thanx for the other links will check them out, actually heading over Basildon next weekend, so will check that one out,,

no worries on ID.. seems the guys over at rift are tracking him down to a Metriaclima Cyneausmarginatus nkhoma Reef,

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
No worries.
No way I know for sure. Quick search gives me someone local to us has what he thinks is em and is breeding what he thinks is that species and variant.
http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/p ... 199904.php

The yellow and dark colouration on the young guy was kind of confusing. :wink:
Not that I could have guessed that guy. Never seen one before. Sooooooooooo many BB Mbuna and variants and quite a few crosses about I think.

Must say if genuine he is charging a reasonable price for young.

All the best James

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanx for that mate,, they sound just like it,, with the instant colour change,, mine change within milli seconds to the colours in pictures above, amazing to watch,
just trying to work out if i can keep mine and get a few females, or there gonna get to big
in which case i wish i used my bigger tank to keep them,, doh!

Just mailed Ricky for some info on his

thanx
Ben

1 - 11 of 11 Posts