Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the rough week I had, I lost 4 demasoni; at least one was so quickly destroyed overnight that all I saw was a tiny head rolling across the bottom. A few water changes and two treatments of Sulfathiazole later, they're looking better: fewer fins are ragged and the odd threads have vanished.

Now that they're looking better and the water parameters are decent (20ppm nitrates, for example), they're still VERY skittish. It's not uncommon for me to walk in the room and see an essentially empty tank with an acei darting across. My dominant male lab has made himself a snug place in the sand, where he hangs out most of the time. Every demasoni has his own place in the rock and other than a little chasing, they stay put. When I had more fish, this wasn't the case, but I thinned down my collection of labs to reduce aggression. Any suggestions? The tank was rearranged about 1.5 months ago, so all the territories should have been uprooted and reset. Nothing is more than 3 inches long.

Finally, I discovered three...toddler? demasoni today. They're definitely big enough to have been there more than a few days. I have no idea how to get them out, but I'm sure they'll be snack. I have a lot of rockwork and no good want to get to them other than taking down the whole tank.

·
Registered
42 Posts
personally i dont know why you removed the labs for aggressive reasons if anything the demosoni would be causing this anyway how long ago was it you removed these fish and rearranged your tanks rock work??? if recent it will take a little while for them to calm down cichlids are smart and are more likely associateing you with a net or a movement of there home,,, things will settle down again shortly id suggest to speed it up avoid going near the tank all together only approach to turn on lights and feed they will quickly start to associate you with food again and start to greet you when you approach i would also feed them from a certain corner of the tank(feeder hole)??? again if you have 1 of these they will instantly know its feeding time after awhile of sticking to this :wink: and as for the little fry there is little you can do for them at this stage they wont last long :lol:

·
Registered
705 Posts
i have little tiny 1/4inch fish in with my 4 inchers. once the fry realize that if they run they get chased, theyll be ok. the more they run the more they get hunted. lolz well GL to ya. survival of the fittest i always say!

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
What's the size of the tank and full stocklist?
How long since the sulfathiazole treatment ended?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kanorin said:
What's the size of the tank and full stocklist?
How long since the sulfathiazole treatment ended?
55 gallon with an Eheim 3 pro, a temporary Whisper 60, and a future Rena XP4. Lots of rocks, sand bottom.

7 Desmonai, probably 4M to 3F. I was going to get three more females, but based on the deaths and my suspicion of disease, I didn't want to bring them in.
5 smaller acei. Very relaxed, school, mostly chase each other a bit
5 Labs, probably all male.

I removed 7 labs so I could reduce the inter-lab aggression and replaced them with the acei.

The second sulfathiazole treatment was yesterday, 4 days after the first treatment. That didn't seem to change the behavior any.

The fry are in very small crevices in the rocks. The big fish would have to powerlift slate to get to them. :D

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Assuming that whatever illness you had is cured (guess you'll probably know soon) I'd guess that the fish are either skittish because they are a) still recovering from the medication or b) still getting used to the changes in stocklist.

I think your idea to add Demasoni females is a good one, but I agree that you should wait until the tank is free of disease. When the tank is cured, I suggest adding at least 6 (doesn't have to be all females).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts