Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a medium sized peacock (jacobfreibergi I think) who I had in a hospital tank for several weeks as he was getting picked on too much. Yesterday I moved him to a larger hospital tank, which was completely new. Cut to 24 hours later, and he spiralling all over the place with no sense of direction. This seems really bad to me. It also seems strange to me that he's really showing his colors, and seems to be able to swim normally for short periods of time.

The water tests normally, but like I said it's a completely new tank. I took half the water out of his old tank to put into this new tank, and the rest was just tap water treated the way I always treat it, with the usual startup conditioner, etc.

He's got one other tankmate, a younger smaller peacock. They were in the hospital tank together and were moved together. He seems normal.. very active etc.

I am assuming the worst, and that this fish is not long for the world. But I'm hoping there's something I can do for him. I live 3 minutes from a PetSmart, so if someone can give me some advice within 4 hours of this posting, I'll be able to get him some medication right away.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well, there is definitely something wrong, but the illness may have been what weakened the fish and the reason why the other fish were picking on him.

Once they lose their equilibrium, it's hard to do alot for them.

I would just keep the water pristine and watch for further signs or symptoms. It may be that his swim bladder was injured while he was being harrassed. Or, it could be something more serious, and he could be going into organ failure and the body cavity could be filling with fluid from the organ failure. It's just impossible to say from the information you've given.

Is he eating at all?

What were the water parameters on the initial tank he was in?

What is your normal tank maintenance routine?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: He regained his equilibrium quickly, but has been a little weak, with a few mildly torn fins and drained color. The other little fish he's with is really active and may be dominating him a little.

He's eating well, but was having trouble with medium pellets. I'm giving him lots of small ones, and he's eating a lot of them.

This is a new tank with just 2 fish, so I'll just do a small change every 2 weeks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts