Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know fish growing at different rates is completely normal in the same aquarium due to aggression and food, etc. But I have some trewavasae that are maybe an inch and a half and haven't grown much, while I have another that was near the same size when I bought it at maybe 3" I'm not the best fish measurer but size is definitely noticably different, this is also the same with my OB peacocks, how can I fix this, I'd like all fish to grow up to be breeders. Should I seperate the small ones, nurse them to a bigger size and then reintroduce them?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no problem. Are those the only fish in the tank and they are all growing slow? Because if so I found that a temperature increase drastically increased my fish growth rate, I realized this when one of the tanks got ich, they were growing fairly slow and I fed multiple times a day at 76 degees then when I turned up the temp to 86 over a few days they grew like weeds, they grew almost 1/2 an inch just over the 2 weeks I raised the temp. Or at least most of them did, then others did like I posted above. I lowered the temp to a high but not crazy 82 degrees so they don't get boiled alive :lol: and they are doing great. Water changes really help to, I get my fry up from 1/2-3/4 of an inch around when they come out to an inch quick just by doing 50% water changes every other day, with the drip acclimation method pretty much. Sorry for such a long post. Hope it helped, but if they aren't in a tank all alone or if they are growing at different rates I guess I didn't.

·
Registered
495 Posts
i have a o. lithobate that is over 6 months in my 90g and it is still the exact same size lol.. 2 out of 4 are growing good and are just about to color up, but must be the 2 females taking forever? i know its not aggression because this tank is my most peaceful of all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I heard somewhere that when water isn't changed for a while that only the bigger fish in a tank manage to grow and due to the higher ammonia(or something) levels prevents the smaller fish from growing as fast.so the more often the water is changed the better growth for all.
Not sure if this is true?

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
zoz said:
I heard somewhere that when water isn't changed for a while that only the bigger fish in a tank manage to grow and due to the higher ammonia(or something) levels prevents the smaller fish from growing as fast.so the more often the water is changed the better growth for all.
Not sure if this is true?
Its actually the nitrate levels that can cause slow growth. Hopefully in an established tank there is no ammonia to measure. This is why many people recommend upping the water changes on fry tanks to daily or every other day. It really speeds up their growth in comparison to fish in tanks that have generally higher nitrates.

The fish in question, might just be more sensitive to the nitrate levels than the others.

Outside of water quality you will have fish that just don't grow well. These really should not be used as future breeders as their may be a genetic reason why they are not thriving and it would be a disservice to the hobby and that species to knowingly breed poor genetic specimens. .

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I believe that they just got a little behind and eventually it lead to this, what can I do to get them back up to size, I think theres a difference between a fish that isn't growing due to genetics and a fish that due to aggression and/or food intake cannot grow because they are being dominated, there are about 40 fish in my 75 at about 2" and I'll vent them in a week or so and get rid of extra males but what can I do to counteract there slow growing is my real question.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts