Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can never "observe" my fishes natural behavior because if they see me they go crazy at the top because they think theyre gonna be fed. How can i stop this? does this happen to any one else?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i wish but theyre small enough as it is

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Mine do the same thing. You have to have a little patiance sometimes. Set yourself up a chair and just sit thier for a while. They'll eventually figure out thiers no food to be had and resume thier normal captive behaveour.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I second iceblue's advice. My fish have a fairly short attention span when it comes to this so it doesn't take long for them to return to their algae grazing, chasing, and digging.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't know if this would help, but if you could feed at the same time every day they will come to figure out when it is time for food. I have tanks where the fish know when my three year old child is going to bed (they all come out from hiding at 8 every night)! :lol:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree with youngb - mine go crazy anytime between about 7pm and 9pm (I feed them at 8pm, and that's also the time when the auto-feeder is set when I'm travelling). The rest of the time they either don't change their behaviour, or they hide for a second then come out again.

I should add that mine were timid for the first few months and so I used to watch them with the room darkened, and seated about 2m away from the tank - still enough that they would not see me, or forget I was there. I gradually got closer and closer over a couple of months as they got used to my presence.

·
Registered
110 Posts
7 AM is feeding time for my fish, once they see me they are all swimming at the top waiting for there food. if your fish know you are there then you might want to stay still and camoflage yourself so they dont see you.......... :lol: just feed them the same time every day and they begine to learn what time they are fed and they wont react to you at any other time during the day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
just do your regular feeding. then sit there and watch them eat. after that they should go back to normal even with you still sitting there.

also find keeping the room lights off and the tank lights on helps during this. as well as sitting low down, like say on the floor, and not moving too much.

but yes, try it and give it time. patience is key so u have to sit there about 20 minutes at least before they start ignoring you...

:fish:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts