Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I recently got my 210 gallon aquarium up and running with fish. The tank has 2 overflows which lead to a 100 gallon sump. Over the past few days I have been noticing that a few fish have been disappearing. When I went to top off the water in the sump, I found the fish! There were guppies and angelfish in there. Any ideas on how to prevent fish from swimming/jumping into the overflows? The openings are so small that I don't see how they could swim in...only possibility I can think of is that they jumped. I was thinking of cutting a piece of acrylic on the band saw. This will be difficult to completely seal the top because of the return pluming. I can post pictures later.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,843 Posts
The pics would help but using a piece of aquarium sponge cut to fit around the plumbing or even using some plastic mesh from the craft store should work.

·
2,088 Posts
I have that problem constantly with baby bristlenose in one of my sumps. In my tropheus tank, there is a juvenile in one of the overflows, which has eluded me for a year. My overflows are the standard ones that come with Marineland tanks. I'm not sure of any solution that I'd be comfortable using, sponges and screens can clog, but if they are easily viewed and cleaned it should be fine to use.

Pictures will help, for sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts