Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You have probably seen me post things about flashing on this forum before. A little background. I have 75 gallon mixed Cichlid tank that is mostly mbuna. I have had, over the past year, constant flashing issues. I have tried everything. I have added prazipro, general cure, and melafix to no avail. I have tested ph, nitrate, ammonia, nitrite, gh, and kh with nothing popping up that was irregular. I took water into my LFS and they found nothing bad. I have even added a bunch of plants and upped water changes. My fish are still flashing. Here are all of the symptoms. Cloudy eye, flashing as I have said, and white cuts, scars, and bruises. They also will twitch their fins in a sort of spasm. My fish are eating and get excited to see me, but are always in a painful state that I can't figure out the solution too. Please help.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also wanted to point out that I have had 0 deaths from whatever is causing this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got some more photos of my fish. It is easiest to see the eye and scaring on my large bumblebee.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have had the exact same problems for years in my tank and like you have tried everything I or anyone else could think of. I do 80% water changes twice a week to maintain pristine water quality. So when a fish gets a cloudy eye or cut from flashing it usually heals up on its own in a couple days. The last thing I tried was potassium permanganate. It didn't work but I will say the tank has never looked more crystal clear. It is very dangerous and you can easily overdose and kill your fish. Because it didn't work for me I'm not suggesting you try it. I consulted with a vet online who posts videos on YouTube, Dr. Erick Johnson. He said best guess for a parasite that would constantly annoy fish but not necessarily kill them would be gill or skin flukes. I have long suspected that's what it was but I have tried Prazi-Pro multiple times and it hasn't worked. I found a vet in my area who has treated fish and other exotic pets and I'm actually bringing in one of my yellow labs tomorrow. I'm hoping he will be able to take a skin and gill scrape and find out what parasite it is under a microscope. I'm praying he finds something because I don't know what else it could possibly be. I will let you know what happens tomorrow.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comment! Would appreciate it if you kept me updated on your cichlids.

·
Registered
173 Posts
So we'll have to wait a little longer to hopefully find out an answer. The vet took a gill sample and didn't see anything unusual and said the fish looked healthy. So he euthanized the fish and is sending it out for a full necropsy to Cornell University. Said with fish it's one of 3 things: parasites, bacteria or fungus. Could be more than one at a time and when you treat for one aspect it's possible you're missing the other. Cost $350 but will be worth it if I get an answer. For the record the wife doesn't think it's worth it. I'll post results when I get them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the response. Hope you find an answer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts