Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought 2 baby cichlids about 2 months ago, and they are growing so fast! i put them in a 10 gallon tank to start off, but they have matured to the point where they need more room to them selves. Believe it or not, my yellow lab is dominating my pseudotropheus elongatus and owns the tank. He is constantly chasing him all over the tank. so my question is, would it be ok to take one of them out, and put him in my 5 gallon tank until i get my 45 gallon tank at the end of august, or should i keep them both in the 10 gallon. serious question, and new to fish.

thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
how big are they?do you have hiding spots for the elongatus? if the lab starts rippen him apart you should definitely separate them.a cheap alternative to a bigger tank is a sturdy rubber maid tote to house them in temporarily.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Part of your problem may also be the fact that you only have two Malawian cichlids together. Lower numbers sometimes lead to higher aggression. A 10 gallon is good for fry, but once the cichlids start getting some size on them, it is definitely time to upgrade.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why_spyder said:
Part of your problem may also be the fact that you only have two Malawian cichlids together. Lower numbers sometimes lead to higher aggression. A 10 gallon is good for fry, but once the cichlids start getting some size on them, it is definitely time to upgrade.
the fish are about an inch and a hlf long, and yes i need to upgrade but it will be some time till i can. The elongatus is stressed all the time. heavy breathing constantly. Should i move the lab to the 5 gallon for the remianing 5 weeks till i get my 45, or just keep them together?

thanks again and thanks for the responses

·
Registered
36 Posts
IMO iwould move the fish to the five gallon, but you need to make sure you have hiding places for the fish if it is already stressed out. This will help the fish to common down and help prevent the fish from dieing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
slidercat said:
IMO iwould move the fish to the five gallon, but you need to make sure you have hiding places for the fish if it is already stressed out. This will help the fish to common down and help prevent the fish from dieing.
thats the thing. I have tooonnnss of hiding places, but the lab seeks him out and chases him no matter where he is at.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think the point Slidercat was making was that whe you move the one fish to the 5 gallon tank, you want to make sure you have rocks and hiding places in the 5 gallon and not simply a bare tank. In spite of not being chased anymore because he will be alone, fish feel safer if they have hiding places to escape too and this is probably even mroe true if they have been chased and stressed out recently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts