Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*** had some fish in a twenty gallon tank for almost a year now and randomly a jack dempsey got into a fight with a bigger midas cichilid and the jack dempsey is very hurt and looks like hes dying, i took him out of the tank and put him by himself but I dont think hes going to make it. Is there anything I can do?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I'm sorry, but you realise your tank is woefully small for such cichlids. You probably need a 75 gallon for the JD, and the Midas will need a larger tank just for him.

·
Registered
697 Posts
It won't be long until the midas thins out your stock for you. Get a bigger tank or get different fish. Until then add some epsom salt, increase the O2 and raise the temp for your Jack. It might be a lost cause. :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah the Jack passed his wounds were too severe. I'm trying to give my Midas up for adoption but I haven't found him a new home yet. Im still pissed he killed my Jack! ...They were in there a year and no problems, and there is still two small juvenile fish in there with the Midas and they've been there just as long and he hasn't attacked them..Maybe the Jack just stood his ground and it couldn't be stopped. O well I live and I learn.. May my Jack rest in peace, Thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
What else was in there?

Bigger tank please? :roll:

·
Registered
406 Posts
a 20 gallon isn't suitable for the a JD by himself much less a Midas and other fish. Your Jd had no place to run and I'm sure your Midas chased and beat the JD relentlessly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts