Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past couple days *** notice many of my fish scratching them selves on the rocks and sand as well what what I can only describe as doing a shimmy shake moment. I dont think this is normal but Im not sure why the fish would be doing this either.

the tank is 90 gallons

the PH is 7.5 (could be higher)
the nitrate and ammonia are at 0
the Kh last time I check was about 4 or 5
the fish include a mix of haps mbunas, and peacocks.

I did have a sick fish in there but has since been removed to quarantine tank to be medicated.

any ideas as to what this is would be welcome.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
It's called flashing. If it's happening more than once a minute for a while, it can be a symptom of parasites. Shimmying = aggression/mating behavior. But rubbing (bouncing off) rocks = flashing.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
It's called flashing. If it's happening more than once a minute for a while, it can be a symptom of parasites. Shimmying = aggression/mating behavior. But rubbing (bouncing off) rocks = flashing.
+1

Or a drop in pH.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
DanniGirl said:
dielikemoviestars said:
+1

Or a drop in pH.
+1

Or a change in water hardness.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did a water change recently, I have a feeling it may be some kind of parasite or bacterial infection even though there really isnt any visible signs. a few fish look to have some minor tears in there fins.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Nipped fins are normal to some extent. How bad are they? -It has to do with aggression. You mentioned you have peacocks and haps mixed with mbuna so...what exactly is your stock list?

A couple quesations-
Are the fish eating? How many are flashing? How often are they flashing? Do they have clamped fins? What was the fish treated for in quarantine? Do you see any external parasites such as ick? How long ago did you last check your kH and gH readings? What is your nitrite reading? How long ago did you perform a water change? (Your nitrate is reading 0?) How long has the tank been set up?

IMO, I wouldn't medicate until absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi nitrate levels can also cause flashing. Are you changing enough water? Buy a quality nitrate test kit. Less than 20ppm is best for malawi cichlids.

Ian.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Occasional flashing is no cause for concern. Just an itch or a showing-off maneuver. If it is constant then it could be a symptom of the problems suggested here.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Are your nitrates really at zero? That sounds unlikely, as there are nitrates in tap water. Or do you mean your nitrites are zero? (where they should be).

If you haven't tested for nitrates yet, give it a whirl and see what they are.

Ian.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeah definitely get yourself a test kit (not the strips), it's the one I used the most often. How much water do you change and how often?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I try to do at least 25-30% per week or every 10 days.

most fish are under 4 inches, i will do a count and get back.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think *** noticed what the problem is , ICK!

I added 2 new fish about a week ago, shortly after the fish began to act unusual. the 2 new fish I purchased are now all Icked up, and its began to spread to the others. So I'm going to treat the tank then once all symptoms are gone will do a 50% water change.

I hope this solves the problem.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Not to hijack but I noticed when I cleaned out my canister lastnight and when I turned it back on the cloud of white funk came out of the spray bar and was all over for a bit. As soon as that happened I noticed a few of my fish starting flashing all over.

Is that common?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
pork_chop said:
I think I've noticed what the problem is , ICK!

I added 2 new fish about a week ago, shortly after the fish began to act unusual. the 2 new fish I purchased are now all Icked up, and its began to spread to the others. >snip<
Note to self .... never ever add new stock to an established tank w/ out first quaranting the new arrivals for enough time to be certain they are healthy.

Hope you learn from this experience and do not lose any fish during treatment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts