Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·


Yesterday I noticed my kenyi in the corner of the tank nose down and breathing fine. She had what seemed to be bite marks on each of her sides and I figured she had got into a fight and was trying to get away. She stayed like that or at the surface, or in a cave. I quickly got my hospital tank started with a filter from the already established tank and wait to put her in. I've done this before when I needed to isolate one. She swimmed odd and then would swim upside down. I then thought maybe her swim bladder had got damaged in battle. I started to treat with pimafix yesterday and she seemes to be doing okay, still floating sideways or upside down but was breathing and moving her fins. This morning she had what seemed to be fuzzy stuff on her tail and was upside down but breathing. I just got sent this photo from my roommate saying she isn't breathing anymore. Her scales look a lot worse and I'm Starting to wonder if she was really attacked or if this was the start of some disease. I've had her almost 2 years and I didn't just lose a fish, but my pet. Any help would be appreciated!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,508 Posts
Can't see the pic. Injuries often open the door to disease.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,854 Posts
I can see the picture and the scales appear to have been removed from the fish, either from attacks by other fish or illness. My bet is attack due to aggression based on your 60G stock list in your signature. Even minor injuries can escalate quickly when bacteria starts in an injury.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Deeda said:
I can see the picture and the scales appear to have been removed from the fish, either from attacks by other fish or illness. My bet is attack due to aggression based on your 60G stock list in your signature. Even minor injuries can escalate quickly when bacteria starts in an injury.
She was isolated when she passed away and didn't look like this when I put her in the hospital tank. This just happened yesterday so I was confused on the rapid scale loss after death. Initially she just had a few scales on each side that appeared to be torn and a wound almost in the shape of a mouth. They have all been together since they were little so I couldn't imagine this just now happening. Not even 24 hours later and she was dead.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,854 Posts
I would say that since the wound was mouth shaped, it was probably caused by one of the other fish, an injury on rocks or decor or even possibly a heater burn. Usually clean water low in nitrate is enough to allow minor wounds to heal quickly but once bacteria sets in, only meds will usually help and then you need to pick the correct medication.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,508 Posts
It's common for fish hat grew up together to become aggressive as they mature. Time to think about stocking changes that might be necessary for your tank size and to manage aggression.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Deeda said:
I would say that since the wound was mouth shaped, it was probably caused by one of the other fish, an injury on rocks or decor or even possibly a heater burn. Usually clean water low in nitrate is enough to allow minor wounds to heal quickly but once bacteria sets in, only meds will usually help and then you need to pick the correct medication.
Well I just noticed this yesterday so if bacteria did set in, that was fast. The tank she was in is always 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and about 25 to 30 nitrates. The hospital tank was just set up with an established filter from the main tank. Hope I didn't do anything to worsen her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DJRansome said:
It's common for fish hat grew up together to become aggressive as they mature. Time to think about stocking changes that might be necessary for your tank size and to manage aggression.
Yeah I'm currently working on a solution still. Definitely will have to get another tank.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top