Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can i add 1 brichardi in my 55 gal long tank.
it already has 3 electric yellows, 2 bumble bee's, 1 electric blue, and 1 cobalt zebra

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
the brichardi shouldnt be a problem, i had one in my tank for awhile and he did fine with the other malawis. i would be more worried about the bumble bees.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
55G is too small for bumble bees, they mature to be very large, aggressive fish.

If you are trying to do all male, you might want to remove the extra labs as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hey, you live on Maui. i live on Maui too. haha and yeah i agree the Maui pet shop doesn't have a wide variety on cichlids.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I agree about getting rid of the bumble bees from what I've heard alot of people say about them. I also agree that one brichardi should be ok from what I've heard others say about them too.

I had 2 small brichardi in my 55g. tank with alot of other fish that was mostly malawi mbuna. At first they didn't act like they liked each other much and I was afraid one might kill the other eventually because if they don't pair up that's usually what happens but then they started acting like they liked each other so I got a 29g. tank for them and was planning to start a colony of them in the 29g. but before I got them in it, I had an accident with my heater and lost one of them :( .

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a brichardi colony with mbuna. Brichardi can really hold their own, and I even have very young brichardi fry in the tank. I have been advised to move the mbuna out of the tank by my LFS becuase they will cause terror, however, I haven't seen it yet. I have 4 mbuna in my "all tang tank." They are now preparing to mate, and they still haven't bothered the brichardi. :wink: Go for it!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
youngb074, what size tank is it that you have the brichardi colony in with mbuna? I was under the impression that unless it was a very big tank, the brichardi would terrorize the mbuna when they (the brichardi) started to breed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts