Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wild Geo Altifrons,Wild Geo Topajo, Wild Geo Steindachneri, Alt "Black" Calvus, Neo cylindricus, F1 Placidochromis Phenochilus Tanzanian "Saphire" and they breed nonstop. I quit pulling fry because I have no room. I spent way too much on these fish to give them away. I have F1 1" Geo's and 4"/5" F2 Plac, Phenochilus Tanz, Saphire trio's ready to go. How much should I ask for them in the trading post here on C-F.com? I purchased ALL my fish from "The Chlid Exchange". Any advice would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
How much should I ask for them
Whatever someone is willing to pay.

Its actually a little more complicated than that. If you're trying to unload fish locally only no shipping, you may have to give them away to get someone to take them. A good option is hooking up with a local fish club and selling through auctions/swaps/etc. If you can ship, you can try sites like aquabid. You might get a little more then because you have a better chance of finding someone who really wants those fish and will be willing to pay what you think they're fairly worth.

Fact is, as a hobbyist, really shouldn't plan on "making money" through selling fry, at least not sustainably. Even if you get a little bit at first, eventually you'll saturate your market, and then any fry are pretty much giveaways to get someone to take them.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Keeping away from the actual discussion of a buy/sell here...because that would happen in the Trading Post and not in the forums...I always base my prices on what the LFS will give me in store credit. I usually sell to hobbyists for the same price or a little less if we have exchanged fish before.

Also since I really don't want to tear down my tanks all the time to catch fry, I usually just let the moms spit in the tank. And I have a group of 5-6 synodontis multipunctatus to help with fry control.

Fish club auctions are a great idea, and sometimes you can arrange a private sale with delivery to occur at the auction which takes out all the uncertainty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts