Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI! I'm new to the cichlid scene, have had fish forever, but not cichlids and I NEED HELP!!! :-?

I have set up a 55. It's been running for about a month. But my cichlids are dying quickly. It was almost a brackish tank with black sand. I removed that water and cleaned as best as I could and added Rift Lake substrate over it . Have some clay pots and lava rock, 2 hanging filters - one is Bio wheel the other is not, heater and air stone. I then ran it with the filter a coulple of days, after water cleared, I added about 6 fry and let it run for about a week. All's good, added a few more. Now they are just getting sick. Two have gotten a white fungus aroung the eye, looks like its being eaten, others get a fungus on the body, half way towards the tail. I lost my two females to this - an Albino White and a White.

I've tried Mela-, Pim-, and fungus cure, they get better, start to eat, come up and are happy and then again get sick.

I had test strips and read good. I decided to get a test kit. The test results came back fine, it think... :( pH 7.4, Ammonia 0, Nitrate 0 and nitrite 0??

I did notice white algae on the glass. I had the heater on and the water was at about 79-80 degrees, so I turned it off and added algae remover.

I couldn't get photos. I had one with the fungus one one side of the "face", died. I looked like it was spun in a spiders web. I have another with some kind of fungus, not sure. Half of the body, towards the tail is loosing it's color. I had another one that died from it, later lost its scales, grew a cottony-like fungus and died. And now, I have one that looks like something is biting the mouth. I don't understand. :x

Any ideas? What am i doing wrong? Should I change the filters? Should I do a complete water change? :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Finally someone has given me some ideas, insight and hope. :)

I have a post on another forum...different replies with different questions, but no possible solutions. :(

I will try this and get back with the results in a while. :thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Robin,

I sort of went a differnent way. :oops: I continued with the Mela- and Pim- because I couldn't get the Maracyn and Maracyn-two or Kanamycin. I can't believe they are so hard to get locally. :x Anyway, I have the tank at 78-79 degrees and I changed the hanging filters to a Magnum Canister I had laying around. I lost my Electric Blue the unknown fungus (it had died by the time you wrote to me and I got home :-? ) and the Peacock's mouth has healed. The fish that have survived seem happy. :fish: I pass by the tank and they come up for food. I can actually see them all, they are not hiding or staying at the bottom.

I will do another change to get the water a little better situated and re-test. If all is good can I address the algae on the tank. Can I treat with Algaefix or other? or just scrape it?

I think, for now, that is my only problem....I hope. Thank you!! :p :thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts