Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need help my fish are dying. The have reddish soars on the scales they seem lethargic before they die. I have treated with antibactierial meds (Melafix) and another one that i can remeber the name of. My water parameters are good. I have done partial water changes after the treatments were complete and i made sure i removed the carbon during treatment. I have lost 5 fish already and I dont want to loose any more. Any help would be great.

125 Gallon
1 fluval 400
2 penguin 400
1 aquaclear 500

tank is stocked with 40 Mbuna and Haps.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Red streaks or actual sores?

Any chance of posting a pic?

Any white cottony growths on the body?

What are the actual water parameters?

What is your normal tank maintenance routine?

How long has this tank been set up?

We're going to need more information in order to help. It sounds like you may be dealing with sepsis or some sort of bacterial infection. Melafix is great as a preventative, but once you have a true infection, it won't help.

Any chance of finding out what the other medication was that you used and for how long?

Kim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They appear to be red lifted scales not streaks.

The tank has been up for about a year.

There is no cottony growth.

I am retreating with EM Emythryocin( hope i spelled it right)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The scales are raised? Like a pine cone?

If so, this sounds like dropsy...Not very common for an entire tank to be affected with this. It's usually due to organ failure from poor water conditions, and the body cavity fills up with fluid, causing the scales to raise. The redness may indicated hemorrhagic septicemia, also usually contributed to poor water quality.

What are the exact water parameters on the tank? What type test kits are you using...Strips or liquid reagent? How old are the kits?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
TheExoticFish.com said:
25% seems a little low for water changes to me. Knowing your water parameters might help.
A 25% weekly water change might be just fine, providing you don't overfeed and have good filtration.

How are things going now?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are doing much better. I have just finished a 4 dose cycle of anti bacterial meds. I had added some new fish. Should have quarantined them longer. Live and learn. have not had a death in 4 days and the soars seem to be disappearing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts