Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have decided to start keeping cichlids as my first true aquarium fish. (I have bred betas before) the apistos and angles really float my boat. I have worked with acrylic before and building a tank seems like a lot of fun to me, plus if I put allot of work into creating the tank I will probably put more in keeping it up. My plan is to build an 18â€

·
Registered
989 Posts
First, a bit of caution on building the tank. I bought a 20 gallon acrylic tank which has a black plastic rim like a glass tank. It was made professionally but the weight of the water has caused the tank to bow out in front. I don't think there is a chance of tank failure but the glass canopy no longer fits correctly.

Next, I'm not sure danios are a good combination with either angels or apistos. Danios are actually a cooler water fish and they dart around wildly which could upset angels and apistos.

Angels, apistos and cory cats all work well together but I'm not sure you have enough room for both angels and apistos. Usually two angels will fit in a 20-25 gallon tank or a pair of apistos. Apistos are often sold as breeding pairs since they are a shorter-lived fish and folks like to continue a line.

As far as drilling holes and bulkheads, usually this is done for sumps but we have connected a canister without a problem. Still, it seems a bother to drill and install bulkheads when a canister doesn't need it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip on the danios probably would not have ended well for them :( .
Would the cats and angles work in this size tank? I can try a fishless cycle. The reason I want to drill the tank is to hide the filter hoses.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I think you can have 4-5 small cories and and a pair of angels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Instead of rolling over on my fish list I am going to modify it slightly with 2 angles 2 apistos and 3 cats and this is my present take on things using math, the 20 long tank has 360" of floor space and the 18/18 has 324"s for the apistos i believe this is plenty because of the added water flow from the filters and i know people keep them in 10 gallons also being cave spawning cichlids they aren’t going to be swimming in the upper regions of the tank, from the tanks i have watched they all stayed under the 6 inch mark of the aquarium and these were relatively shallow tanks. This would give the angles an 18/18/12 tank with 17 gallons of "free" water. Is this a valid argument or should i just go with the angles and cats witch would be A-OK with me anyways.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sorry to butt in on this post, but I have been meaning to find this out for some time, would a pair of apistos work in a 29 with a single angel?

aslo welcome to C-F SnappyApisto!

·
Registered
377 Posts
depending on the dementions of the tank, there is no reason that apisto's and angels cant work well together. Cory's are also a good choice for that setup. I think what the above poster meant when they said danio's were not a good choice was that tetra's would be better. (any tetra large enough not get eaten by the angels, ie, no neons). The angels will stay higher in the water column along with the tetras (hatchetfish are another option here too). The apisto's will stay near the bottom, and the cory's will stay on the bottom...so, slightly below the apisto's. Most dwarf cichlid community tanks follow this stocking regiment, and it seems to work very well, as most of the fish do not crowd out each other, they all have their own space.

The problems with the tank are that angels like a taller tank, and apisto's (or any dwarf for that matter) like a longer tank. Provided you can make a cube that has the right dementions, you can pull off this type of stocking list. Tetra's, angels, apisto pair, cory's. What im not sure of is the angels in your setup if you ask me, 25gal is more than fine for 1 pair of apisto species. A 29 gal tank is fine for a pair of angels, but it is on the small side, so a 25 being slightly smaller, you might have problems. First off, is your tank going to be tall enough? If it is, one angel might be a better fit.

You could also go cory, tetra, and a pair of bolivian rams if you wanted a more centerpiece fish(bolivian ram experts, is a 25 too small for a pair?). Or maybe a trio of apistos, cory's and tetras. Or 1 angelfish, tetras, cory's, and a pair of apisto's. The more I think about it, the more I question a pair of angelfish in there, especially if you end up with a breeding pair.

·
Registered
377 Posts
AU Chief said:
Sorry to butt in on this post, but I have been meaning to find this out for some time, would a pair of apistos work in a 29 with a single angel?

aslo welcome to C-F SnappyApisto!
yes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts