Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

i have a 60 gallon tank with all sorts of cichilds in there including convicts, parrorts

just recently a week ago i noticed babies where swimming around when i was cleaning out the tank so i quickly stopped and filled up the water back up agian.

I then watched closely and a week later i thought they disappeared. my gf managed to find them hiding somewhere else as they relocated themselves which was good.

now i believe we have possible 10 babies in the hiding spots

what are you recommendation of doing with these fries as far as moving them or not? as i believe i should leave them alone and continue crushing food and allow them do what they are doing as they are doing great and all the other fishes are not bothering them at all

how can you tell how old the fries are? they are estimated to be at least 1/3 to 1/2 size of the first inch of your index finger (first section of three part of your index finger is which i call an inch). i hope that make sense. i believe they should be at least close to a month?

how do i do tank cleaning without hurting them or disturbing them or stressing them out??

i had a first batch 4 months ago and i lost them due to cleaning the tank...so this time once i found those little fries i stopped and they are survining which is really exciting!!!

any recommendation or advice would be greatly apperciated!!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Are any parents currently protecting the fry? Anyway if you want to keep the fry, then you probably should pull them and keep them in fry tank. If not the chances of all of them surviving is slim, they'll probably get eaten by all the other cichlids in your tank.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Siphon them out with your vacuum and put them in another yank alone if you want to keep them. Feed them baby brine shrimp untill they can eat crushed flake or pellets .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jason_nj said:
Are any parents currently protecting the fry? Anyway if you want to keep the fry, then you probably should pull them and keep them in fry tank. If not the chances of all of them surviving is slim, they'll probably get eaten by all the other cichlids in your tank.
currently they are hidding at the bottom of the fake plant and in front of them is this bridge.... one guy the midget as we call him, is the blue with black strips is constanly there

all the other cichilds are minding their own business and are else where

been watching them closely and noone seem to be staying too close to the fries

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
BTW. They ary fry and the plural of fry is fry :)

You can just do water changes and dont worry about thorough cleanings.

You can feed them finely ground flake a few times a day.

Parents should protect them till 1/2" or so or until they are ready to spawn again. The babies will then hide in crevices or plants. A couple or few may makes it.. They will find food on their own then.

GL...Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts