Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I am just getting back into cichlids but since I moved apartments, my pH has changed from the low 6s to 7.4-7.5!!!

I wanted to get an Electric Blue German Ram to be the centerpiece of a 10-g planted tank (with a BN pleco) but I know they like the pH down around 5-6, so I'm at a loss of what else can live happily in a 10-G at 7.4... Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
One option would be a Tanganyikan Shell Dweller setup. See the cookie cutter section link below.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c ... er_10g.php

If your kH is high enough, your water should be fine for this setup. If it's low, add baking soda to keep the pH stable.

10 gallons is really too small for any other African cichlid (which prefer alkaline water like yours).

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
my pH has changed from the low 6s to 7.4-7.5
As zimmy said, check your KH value. And let the water sit for 24 hours before testing pH as sometimes CO2 can gas off during that time and affect the value. If your KH is low, you actually have two options. One is to do as zimmy suggested and buffer and do shell dwellers, or use some type of water softening method and keep the soft water fish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts