Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had the space for a fish tank in a while but used to have 2 30 gallon cichlid tanks and a 10 gallon community tank. 4 months ago i set up one of the 29 gallon tanks in my fraternity recessed into a bar and put 2 goldfish 2 zebra danios and 2 tetras in it to cycle it. The problem I face is that there are no LFS in the area and the closest place is walmart 45 minutes away (where i got the current occupants) but I do not want to buy cichlids there. Last weekend I bought 4 assort. African Cichlids from a store in Oneonta NY but it was a pain getting them back since i had to run a airpump and crank the heat in the car.

My question is, any advice on where i can get more cichlids easier? i want to get about 4 more before these ones start to get bigger so that there are no problems introducing them to the tank.

Ill post some pictures later if you'd like to see what we have goin on.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You can always order them online. Check out Davesfish.com. How long were they in the bag when you got them from Oneonta? Fish will last A LOT longer in a bag then people think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought them on a saturday at 4:00pm since the store wasnt open on sunday, put them in a small plastic critter container using on the water from their bags and a little bit of water from my girlfriends fish tank so that i wouldn't have to treat any water. added an airstone and left them on top of her laptop for the night for warmth (which actually worked quite well, kept the temp at about 76). It was a 4 hour car ride on sunday and i didn't get home till 7:00pm.

How expensive is it to order them? and do the fish usually come in good condition?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you get to choose how old the fish will be when you order them? I kind of wanted to get them all young so they would be the same size as the babies I just purchased.

·
Registered
69 Posts
is your tank set up long ? or is it a tall tank? cause it would be better if you had the 29G 3 ft long but you could probly do 5-6 more if you wanted!.. and yes you can order them at different sizes!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Supersnake_63 said:
Do you get to choose how old the fish will be when you order them? I kind of wanted to get them all young so they would be the same size as the babies I just purchased.
Most fish you order through the mail will be 1 - 1.5 inches unless you are getting wild caught adults, so yes they will be babies and you can watch them grow up

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jeremypb said:
is your tank set up long ? or is it a tall tank? cause it would be better if you had the 29G 3 ft long but you could probly do 5-6 more if you wanted!.. and yes you can order them at different sizes!
29 long i believe, it is def 3 feet long. *** got a bunch of rocks piled up on the left hand side of the tank for caves, the pile gets smaller as you look to the right, then the right side of the tank is a bit more open with plants.

Now since I have bought these fish as babies and have no idea if they are male or female, am i going to possibly run into trouble later having too many males in one tank? sorry about all these noob questions I just don't wanna screw this up with no fish store within 2 hours.

Thanks for all the help so far!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Possibly. Starting with juvies is cheaper but takes time and the willingness to make changes as you encounter problems or are able to accurately identify the sex of your fish. You should be fine for a few months, depending on how big the fish actually are, but be prepared to make some changes as they mature.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RRasco - didn't think about it that way, sounds good! I have actually been in the process of attempting to acquire a 55 gal because the bar the fish tank is in is the perfect size for one. So my hope is that in the next few weeks I can get it set up and cycled and do a fish transfer before I buy more. I will be posting pictures as soon as i can

·
Registered
69 Posts
for that 29G it sounds like a good setup for now but when you move them into the 55G remember that youll want rock caves on both sides with the plants in the middle just so if you have 2 alphas or more they can have their own sides and middle can be open... the plants will just help them from seeing eachother across the tank!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jeremypb- thanks for the advice, I'm hoping to hear back on the 55 gallon soon so i can make some moves on it. Not having a fish store in the area makes this a pain but it does seem to make it easier to find people who are getting rid of old fish tanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ya no problem.. just remember once you get it up and going get us some pics... and have you checked out the trading post on here to see if anyone around your area has a tank their trying to get rid of??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so the 55 gallon tank fell through so we are sticking with the 29 long. ordered some fish from livefishdirect.com which will be here friday. kind of an impulsive buy because I don't know too much about specific cichilds but I really want to finish stocking it so im hoping for the best. Here is a list of what i ordered and what is already in the tank. all are small and unsexed. I will post pictures as we finish mounting it in the bar tonight. Any insight on the fish i chose would most defiantly be helpful don't worry about being harsh I take criticism very well lol.

Currently
4 assorted Africans
2 zebra Danios
2 tetras
2 gold fish
(everything but the cichlids were put in the tank to cycle it and will be moved to a community tank when the fish arrive friday)

Ordered
2 Blue Orchids
2 Lemon Jakes
2 Electric Yellows
2 Demasoni
1 Rubber nose pleco

·
Registered
623 Posts
Well the species you purchased are going to need a larger tank. Your demasoni may be okay but I hear they are either best in groups of like 12 or solitary. The electric yellows and jakes will get too big pretty quickly. You will likely get them as small juvis so you have sometime. I would either look for a larger tank like that 55 or find species to fit your current tank. Soulosi are said to work in that size tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the advice! All of them are defiantly juvis and the 4 i have now are as well.

im graduating and moving out at the end of the summer and plan on taking some of the fish with me so that will weigh into my decision on which ones to take when i leave.

is this too many fish for my tank at this point tho?

·
Registered
69 Posts
ya im not to sure about the Blue orchids being a good decision but the main focus now is you prepairing to get atleast a 55G cause it wont be long before their too over crowded so just keep your eye out! :fish:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts