Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
My multi colony is really starting to mature, and I'd like to begin selling some off. The oldest group hatched around new years, and the largest is just now starting to develop stripes. In your opinion, how big/old is reasonable to begin offering them for sale on the various internet channels? Do people expect them to be near breeding age? Is pre-stripes ok?

I'm asking now specifically because the weather is getting nice, and I figure this is the time to thin the herd. So with that in mind, if anyone is feeling generous I'm also interested to hear packaging suggestions, etc.
Thanks!

·
Registered
705 Posts
anywhere at a half inch or bigger is a good selling size. 5-10$ per fish is a good price as well. i highly suggest trying to find a local forum/CL add to sell em off. gonna be easy to drop shellies quickly. perhaps try talking to a cpl of your local fish stores about trading some in to get more supplies for your colony? just tossing ideas ur way gl in w.e u may choose.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Here in Chicago multis are hard to find in stores. The one store I found them in was selling juvies for 24.99, due to the fact he has them air freighted in from Indiana... I would check your local stores, they might be interested but they will probably only pay $2-4 per fish you sell them. I don't know about NJ but in retail stores in Chicago I have noticed a gap in the diversity of Tangs offered. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in Tangs from the retail perspective. Good Luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called the local cichlid dealers and there wasn't any interest. There are a couple of cichlid breeders locally, and I think Multi's just aren't "rare" enough for them. I was thinking aquabid or just forums like this. Is that generally too difficult for a non-commercial breeder?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I wish you were closer to me. I've been waiting a month for the lfs to get some multies in for me. Got a loving home all ready for them.

·
Registered
705 Posts
ya if none of your local fish stores seem interested find a local NJ forum site or something. or hey just try your luck withing this forum here. (more people here from the east coast then my neck of the woods) GL in your selling. cant imagine at 5-10$ per fish that youll be sitting on them very long.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i wish you guys lived closer, got a ton of multis, started off with six, probably over a hundred by now, i'd give them away just so they could start their own colony, too bad.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts