Hello all,
My tank is a 55 gallon 4 foot long tank, housing
5 yellow lab crossbreeds - probably all female
5 metriaclima callainos
1 female melanochromis auratus

My water parameters are
pH - 8
KH - 20
GH - 16 (unsure of both KH and GH - hard to read exactly at the higher end of the scale - but both are high)
NH4 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 20 (ish)

Temperature is usually at 26 degrees celcius (80 farenheit).

I change water every two to three days, about 30% of the water at a time, in order to encourage growth, since my fish are juveniles. This has not changed.

I had a hyper agressive male yellow labzilla that went back to the LFS after seriously harassing some females. This was about two weeks ago, following an incident where I obtained two additional yellow females (vented, at about one and a half inches - so best guess) to attempt to spread his agression and one was killed within minutes. Peace returned, although my smallest yellow lab has been sufferening at the hands of her larger companions. No nipped fins, but she does spend most of her time hiding in the rockpile. As far as I can tell, she's eating normally, and although her poop is a normal colour, it is hanging suspended beneath her with an invisible thread. This smallest female now has a small white fleck on two of her fins. It is almost certainly ick (I have seen it before), although with so little evidence I am treating preventatively to a large extent.

I am not keen on medicine, particularly since this is mostly preventative. I am raising the temperature as we speak, up to more than 85 farenheit (which is 28 celcius, no?). I am shooting for 88 farenheit (which is 31 celcius?). This will happen gradually.

I am hesitant to add salt. Will the temperature do it on its own? As far as I understand, the salt acts more as a way to increase the fish's mucous production thus preventing thermonts from attaching.

Also, I will be doing a thorough vaccuum (and a water change) quite soon.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
This post slipped by... how are your fish doing?

I've never used only heat to combat ich... and I'm not sure why you are hesitant to use salt? Even fresh off the boat wild caught fish can handle high salt concentrations. So, if you aren't seeing improvement, start adding salt as per the ich article:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

I've used heat (88 degrees) plus salt (2 TBS/ 5 gallons) to successfully treat ich a few times.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for answering, I'm more curious about why salt is needed at all than I'm in dire need of help treating the ick.

I'm not sure why the salt freaks me out as much as it does. Perhaps it's the tablespoons thing - I've messed up rather more than I care to mention in food preparation using tablespoons as a guide.

As it is, the last signs of white spots are off my littlest yellow fish, so if nothing shows up on any other fish, all is well. I'm keeping up the heat until next week Friday (11 days) to be sure the stuff is gone. For now, I'll keep it without salt. I'm glad I caught it early.

On a side note, the heat has them all energetic.

·
Registered
705 Posts
energetic eatting fish is a good sign. sounds like they may simply be stressed. ich is tolerable just keep it in check. temp for like two weeks and salt is always a good thing. a healthy mucous is a healthy fish :p

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, Anthraxx, that a healthy mucous is a healthy fish. However, an increased mucous due to skin irritation is not a healthy mucous, it's a respone to environmental stressors. Exactly like how a little bit of flashing is all good, but a lot of flashing tells you something is off.

Any suggestions how to help little yellow grow so that she can be less of a target for her female friends?

·
Registered
705 Posts
shes just stressed from being picked on. id let it ride, if it doesnt work out isolate somewhere else until she heals up properly. even then tho reintroduction may not work out well... GL in your choice.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to end off this story, the last signs of ick was gone after a few days. The tank temperature remained high for another ten days, and is now down to normal. The tank is full of happy, healthy, holding :eek: fish.

·
Registered
677 Posts
congrats Nina...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

1 - 9 of 9 Posts