Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!

My name is Jess - I've been keeping fish ever since I was a teen (about ten years). I currently have a 46 gallon tank and I've had some cichlids before but 46 gallons isn't large enough for most species. I would like to have a larger tank for Africans/mbuna. I LOVE demasoni :)

I'm looking into a 75 gallon approximately. I don't have room for anything too large.

My question is:

-any suggestions on good brands/makes or certain brands to stay away from?
-any other suggestions on what to look for in purchasing a larger aquarium/stand

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jess :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi Jess, Welcome to the forum!

Here's the executive summary:
- Nope
- Nope

Here's a lot of other thoughts:

I recently got back into aquariums after a 10 year hiatus. The single biggest issue I've had so far is actually finding anything available for purchase. The 'Rona's shutting it all down.

I ordered a big custom tank, but my biggest issue was when I tried to set up a quarantine tank and get some fish going for the big one. I went to PetSmart and got a 29 gallon kit to get cycled. There was at that point (And still is, if I'm not mistaken) only 1 stand option for that tank that could actually be purchased. I bought it - It's all Topfin brand. Thoughts on this one - I am not impressed with the quality. It's particle board construction and the pieces don't sit quite correctly for support which causes the whole aquarium to tilt forward. This effect is accentuated if you've placed the tank against the wall and the back of the stand is now on carpet tack-strip. For all the TopFin brand stuff, I'm not super impressed. The quality of workmanship is not high. Silicone sealing in the tank is not pretty, but is functional. I've had no real problems here.

As for brands I don't really have a preference. I've had probably 10 tanks over the years and have not noticed any functional difference in tanks. For stands, looks matters a lot, but functionality matters more to me. It needs to be solid and sturdy and I don't want to worry about it coming apart if it gets wet. This usually leads to a solid wood stand. Cost can be a factor here.

Where cost is concerned - I currently have another quarantine tank going which I bought from Craigslist for $65. This is often a Super great way to go in terms of limiting expense. Be careful here! The advantage is that you can see it full and set up many times, but be careful that you don't buy something that leaks. My Mother recently did that with a 75, actually. Bought it from CL, got it home, cleaned it up and filled it, and there was a leak. It was time to reseal.

So all that being said, what are your plans? Were you thinking of buying new? Getting an "ensemble" from one of the big boxes?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I like Seapora, marineland, Fluval. I'm sure there are many others but that's what comes to mind. I would never buy a Tetra, they're cheap and people complain they leak.

Bottom line, don't buy a cheap tank, as having to deal with 75 gallons that spill on your floor is not something to look for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your responses!

Buying new may be safer, so I'm thinking that that will be my plan but I'm not 100% sure yet.

I live in Canada - I'm not sure where the best place to purchase is. Not too many LFS's around here other than Petland and Petsmart. I can look online, but I would rather see the tank/stand in person before I buy. I guess I'm undecided on many things at this point :)

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Deeda said:
Is there a Pisces Pet Emporium near your location?
There is only one of those and it's in Calgary , AB. If the OP lived in Calgary, they wouldn't be saying there is not too many LFS around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts