Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm ready to put my first habitants in.
I have an opportunity to buy these two species (who have been living in the same tank for about 2 moths)

4 yellow labs
4 red zebras

they are all about 2 -2.5 inches.

What are you thoughts??
Are they too big as a starter?

Your comments are much appreciated!

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Sounds like a good start. From reading your other post I gather it's a 90 gallon, still lots of room for more fish.
Is the tank cycled? Just wondering if you lost the bacteria in the substrate. Maybe you've been dosing ammonia?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's a 90 gal. I don't know if I lost the bacteria, I've been cycling the tank for 4 days now.

Should I test before adding my new habitants?

Are they too big to start with or 2 inches is good to start?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Cycling for 4 days? Define cycling for me?

Unless you have seeded filter media - which after 4 days is likely to be very much unseeded - your tank isn't anywhere near cycled. 4-6 weeks is average.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tank had used rocks and crashed coral along with the filter. It was still wet from the previous cichild owner

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I would encourage you to get some ammonia and a liquid test kit (API makes a half decent one). Add 1-2 ppm of ammonia and see if your ammonia and nitrite levels are zero in 24 hours. That's probably the safest way to know if your tank is ready for fish. Check out the articles in this forum's library on fishless cycling and the nitrogen cycle if these subjects are unfamiliar to you. You might still have had beneficial bacteria on the rocks, crushed coral and filter you picked up and be ready to go but it's better to be safe than harming your fish unnecessarily.

You'll need the test kit anyway down the road even if you are cycled so it's a good investment.

Yellow labs and red zebras have a very high probability of cross breeding - something to think about.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Agree with Zimmy.

Your bacteria culture MIGHT still be fully alive and kickin', but you're better off testing. Make sure the ammonia you add doesn't have any detergent/other chemicals in it.

·
Banned
406 Posts
If you have a local ACE go there to get the ammonia. Home Depot / Lowes / Walmart all had the kind that foamed up when I shook the bottle.

It took me 3 weeks to cycle my tank without any seeded material, hopefully your colony is still active and you can add fish asap. GOOD LUCK! :thumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tested the water and the tests came out nil.

I have now four 1' yellow labs and four 1' afra cobue

I'm looking for more now. I was thinking of some peacocks. What are your thoughts about that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Did you add the ammonia as recommended and check the parameters 24 hours later? Did you test for nitrates also? If so, what were the results?

Ammonia=???
Nitrites=???
Nitrates=???

If you didn't do as recommended, your new pets are in for a rough ride. They may or may not survive.

Jman

1 - 10 of 10 Posts