Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cleaned my canister filter (Fluval 406) for the first time. I took out the holder with the sponges and media baskets. I rinsed the baskets, canister, and sponges, cleaned the impeller, rinsed out the canister, etc... I put it all back together, reconnected it, and primed the pump. The canister filled up and I turned it on. After I turned it on a bunch of debris came out of the outlet. What did I do wrong? :-?

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
You didn't do anything wrong, usually some slime/gunk will exit the output hosing of the filter upon starting it back up and will eventually get 'sucked' up by the filter again. If it really bothers you, some people will use a net with some filter floss inside it and place it at the output nozzle just before starting the filter up again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deeda said:
You didn't do anything wrong, usually some slime/gunk will exit the output hosing of the filter upon starting it back up and will eventually get 'sucked' up by the filter again. If it really bothers you, some people will use a net with some filter floss inside it and place it at the output nozzle just before starting the filter up again.
Thanks for the reply. I was worried I put it back together incorrectly. The water is clearing up though; but was just a shock to me. I may try the net and filter floss next time to see the difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.