Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first actual cichlid tank so any suggestions and a rating would be helpful

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes,i plan to get a black background and why do i need to put the plants at the back
also could you please rate it out of ten

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi!

(assuming plastic plants and cichlid fish)
Plants in the front = fish in the back.
Plants in the back = fish in the front.

What kind of cichlids are you keeping/planning on keeping?

Cichlids + plants = varied results. Depending on the type of cichlid, they may eat them (nibble once if plastic, or munch munch if they are real), or uproot them. If you want to keep your plants in place, you will probably need to do more than bury the 'root' in the gravel.

Decor that offer lots of places to hide and 'peek out' from will keep your cichlids happy. The rocks are great.

I'd rate it a 6 out of 10 (love the rocks), but with potential for a higher rating once you get a background and push the tall plants to the back (that lil shorty plant looks good up front, adds some contrast and steps the front-to-back staging).

:) Cheers!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply,i have just put the first fish in they are 2 convicts and 1male peacock.They are really happy,they love the rocks and caves. I will move the tall plants to the back like you suggested .I will have background soon which will look better. The rocks i got from my yard so i am lucky.
Thanks for your suggestions :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Just curious what size of tank is this? dimensions?

Most people will advise you not to keep convicts with africans, however it can work. in fact i had 2 breeding groups in my 90 last week, with easily 200 babies. I had them for a couple months and i got rid of my biggest pair as all their babies disappeared so i gave them to my brother. I still have 1 pair in my tank as they have had 13 fry for over a month now, and i figured i can wait another month then move them out. Its also interesting as the male is white and the female is black.Their parenting skills are very impressive as they have protected them from other cichlids and cat fish. If i had another tank i would surely keep them. Who knows maybe i will get them a small tank just to breed in. Just a hint on if you do keep them, they reproduce like rabbits, i had 3 spawns in a matter of 3 weeks from 2 pairs.

Also by moving the tall plants to the back it increases the visual depth of the tank.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,the tanks size is 40gal.My cons and Africans get along well until the cons go in his cave other than that its the convicts that chase each other. I know they breed like rabbits but that's alright because i have predatory fish in another tank. I am moving the plants soon
thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.