Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Looking to do some mbuna in my 55 gallon with a fluval 406 for filtration
either as a saulosi species tank, or a mix of 5 labs and maybe 8-10 demasoni.

My main question is on the aquascape i currently have set up. I have not begun cycling the tank yet, because until the rock scape is acceptable i will be in and out of the tank too much removing and installing things/water to make it worth cycling.

basically what i am asking is my current setup acceptable?Are there ways to make it taller? I dont feel too comfortable stacking more rocks on top, maybe a good source of artificial rocks that are a little lighter?
That light light is not the final solution, it is just a spare i have to use while working until i decide on the final equipment.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mbuna freak said:
I think it looks pretty good. It looks like you have plenty of caves so I would say it should work just fine
Awesome, now i just need to put a background on the tank and start cycling.

·
Registered
9,064 Posts
Can't see any pic now.

Don't try to make a "house of cards" to any large extent, this just ends up a pain. Don't make too complex, just try to have separate "zones", and try to block line of sight at ground level to some degree so the fish can feel like they are getting out of each others' areas.
I've always liked to use flat rocks to make dark areas, and fish can use the top of flat rocks as a territory also. They don't need too many actual caves. Some fish will make a territory out of a cave but generally the fish do not like to feel trapped. Some Mbuna can dig under rocks, so be aware.

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
I also can no longer see your pic. What I do see is the '3rd party hosting has been temporarily disabled' from Photobucket.

You can use the Full Editor option and Upload attachment directly from your device to post pics OR you can use another photo hosting website to post pics.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Saulosi is a great idea. If you end up trying demasoni, don't have less than 12 individuals in the tank. This helps manage their aggression.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i guess my photobucket doesnt work anymore, Oh well. Here is an updated picture now that *** painted the back of the tank.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
noki said:
Can't see any pic now.

Don't try to make a "house of cards" to any large extent, this just ends up a pain. Don't make too complex, just try to have separate "zones", and try to block line of sight at ground level to some degree so the fish can feel like they are getting out of each others' areas.
I've always liked to use flat rocks to make dark areas, and fish can use the top of flat rocks as a territory also. They don't need too many actual caves. Some fish will make a territory out of a cave but generally the fish do not like to feel trapped. Some Mbuna can dig under rocks, so be aware.
Yeah i had read that, so i put some of the "eggcrate" light diffuser panel under the sand, and all the rocks are directly on that with the sand brushed around them.

I tried to do my homework on this one, but reading the theory and actually executing it are two different things haha.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to keep posting and bumping the thread before anybody answers, but i cant seem to edit my posts to add questions after a certain amount of time.

If i can find someone locally who has enough saulosi, what would my stocking level look like ideally? 10-15 fish? can i go higher because it is a single species tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
A 55G is good for 15 fish and 1m:4f of each species or 3m:12f if it is saulosi.

Initially you would stock unsexed juveniles and maybe 24 individuals to get 12 females...then rehome extra males as they mature and cause trouble.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DJRansome said:
A 55G is good for 15 fish and 1m:4f of each species or 3m:12f if it is saulosi.

Initially you would stock unsexed juveniles and maybe 24 individuals to get 12 females...then rehome extra males as they mature and cause trouble.
Great, I just started doing a fishless cycle tonight, working on getting my ammonia levels to around 1.5 to start. I am using tetra safestart for the fishless cycle so we will see how well that goes. I used tetra SS for a fish in cycle on my 29 gallon and it did well, however i have done a lot more research since then about cycling a tank.

In the mean time i guess ill start calling around for a source on some saulosi. Thanks for the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts