Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've always used HOB filters but just upgraded to a 75 so i got a Sunsun 404B canister filter. I got the filter up and running but didn't want to cut the hoses just yet since I wanted to make sure everything was ok first in case I had to return it. It was running ok, but there was a lot of bubbles coming through the system. I tried tilting the unit, checking the hoses and the intake, etc. but no change. I could see all the bubbles coming in through the intake tube so I didn't know what the problem was. To try to fix it, I think I was pressing the primer button while it was on. Then I think i turned it off and pressed it some more - all in an attempt to push the air out of the system. I think this was my mistake.

When i tried plugging the filter back in, the GFCI outlet it was plugged into (through a power strip) would shut down. I tried this a few times with the same result. I tried plugging the filter directly into the GFCI outlet and again it tripped and shut down. Then I saw some water leaking out of the side of the filter. I opened the unit and some water spilled out and then i noticed that the glass cover for the UV light was filled with water. As I went to take that glass cover off i noticed that the glass cover was cracked. I'm guessing that maybe all that priming that I did caused too much pressure and cracked the glass and let water into the light housing which caused a short and the GFCI to trip. That was yesterday.

I left everything to dry overnight. I tried the filter head by itself (not attached to the body of the filter) this morning in another GFCI outlet and the impeller turned on and seemed like it was running fine. The UV light however did not work. So, do I need to just get a replacement uv bulb and cover and then I'll be set?

As for the original issue of the bubbles, I just saw in a response to Roynato's recent thread (I didn't want to hijack it), that Sunsun's may have a gap or something near the top of the intake that can take in air if the tank is not full. Is that correct? Maybe that's my issue. My tank is not full right now as it's still a work in progress and I don't have lids on yet. But I don't see the gap. Is there a way to plug that up if the water level is below the top?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a SunSun 304B. The way they construct the intake tube in sections, starting near the water line, allows for air to enter the system if the water level is below the first connection. I prefer the way the Pingkay filter intakes are made with a long initial tube with extensions placed at the bottom of the tube. I suspect the filter ran low on water while the UV was on and the high temp of the bulb cracked the casing. I guess you could silicone the intake tube pieces together to stop the air leak.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. I siliconed the glass tube last night. It will take 48 hours to cure so I will water test it after that. Then I can see if that will work on the filter. If it works I can look to buy a new one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to close the loop on this. putting silicone on the glass tube worked. it ran fine like that for a week or so. I have since replaced it with a new tube that i bought and a new bulb. I also shortened the tubes and lowered the sliding part of the intake pipe below the water level and everything is running fine.

One question though. when i opened the canister to put in the new tube, i noticed some debris floating on/above the top tray. when i looked at the second and third trays (there are 4 trays in total) they looked clean. I thought the sunsuns flowed from bottom to top so this surprised me. the debris was fairly loose, so could it be that this was just some debris that came into the canister when i turned it off and had not yet been pushed through the trays? or maybe when i turned off the filter some debris from the bottom was pushed up? It was probably around 8-10 pieces of debris.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts