Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My first acrylic tank is currently being made. It's 96Lx36Wx19H and it's for mbuna. I have a few questions and I'm sure I'll think of a few more.

First, since the tank is so long and the external overflow and returns are on the same side, I need a wavemaker/pump or two to ensure an even flow across the tank. The acrylic is 3/4". Does anyone have any suggestions here? I've heard suction cups don't work well on acrylic tanks.

What do you use to clean the inside and outside of the acrylic.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
710 Posts
My tank's footprint is the same as yours, but it is 30"H. I agree that at least one wave maker is needed since the tank has the overflow & return on only one side. But it is true that suction cups don't work as well on acrylic. I use a wavemaker in my 100gal sump and it sometimes falls down to the tank bottom but I just leave it there since it's still doing the work I want it to. I also have a canister filter's hoses suction cupped to the walls of the sump and these have been secure with no problems. I would say just be prepared to try and secure the wave maker somewhere at the bottom of the tank if it falls. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

I use an old soft washcloth to clean the inside & outside of my tank walls. As I'm sure you know, acrylic can scratch very easily compared to glass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

My first acrylic tank is currently being made. It's 96Lx36Wx19H and it's for mbuna. I have a few questions and I'm sure I'll think of a few more.

First, since the tank is so long and the external overflow and returns are on the same side, I need a wavemaker/pump or two to ensure an even flow across the tank. The acrylic is 3/4". Does anyone have any suggestions here? I've heard suction cups don't work well on acrylic tanks.

What do you use to clean the inside and outside of the acrylic.

Thanks in advance.
I have a 300 gallon (8'x 2.5'x 2') acrylic tank that I have had for over 20 years. Overflow and return on the same side??? Not the smartest design. Mine has two overflows and two returns on the back. You need to get that return water coming in on the other side of the tank, to maintain a good "east-west" flow throughout the tank. I would run a hose or PVC from the current position and get the return flowing from the other side. Regarding cleaning, I use only microfiber cloths, one use and it goes into the garage for other types of cleaning. On the outside I just use clean water and fresh microfiber cloth to dry. My tank still looks great and is without any bad scratches. Hope this helps

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's designed that way because with the 36"w dimension, it just won't work in my basement any other way. I can't have the overflow on the back as it would make the tank just too proturding for the room. It's my wife's house and I just live there. I'm lucky she even agreed to let me get this new tank.

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
Distributing filtration discharge water flow better throughout the water column of an aquarium, has long been a challenge for all aquarists. If you have any DIY skills, this link (with the original C-F article link embed in it) may provide a solution that will help.
Built and used successfully for two of my own, sump filtered aquariums (glass 150 Mbuna and 180 gallon Central American), I see no reason why a DIY-built system of Under Gravel Jets would not work just as well in distributing the discharge water flow from the sump of your 300 gallon, acrylic-based aquarium.

Reactions: PhxBuckeye

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Distributing filtration discharge water flow better throughout the water column of an aquarium, has long been a challenge for all aquarists. If you have any DIY skills, this link (with the original C-F article link embed in it) may provide a solution that will help.
Built and used successfully for two of my own, sump filtered aquariums (glass 150 Mbuna and 180 gallon Central American), I see no reason why a DIY-built system of Under Gravel Jets would not work just as well in distributing the discharge water flow from the sump of your 300 gallon, acrylic-based aquarium.
I have a 300 gallon (8'x 2.5'x 2') acrylic tank that I have had for over 20 years. Overflow and return on the same side??? Not the smartest design. Mine has two overflows and two returns on the back. You need to get that return water coming in on the other side of the tank, to maintain a good "east-west" flow throughout the tank. I would run a hose or PVC from the current position and get the return flowing from the other side. Regarding cleaning, I use only microfiber cloths, one use and it goes into the garage for other types of cleaning. On the outside I just use clean water and fresh microfiber cloth to dry. My tank still looks great and is without any bad scratches. Hope this helps
Jengel,

If the external overflow was on one end and the returns were on the other end, would that be a better situation? Or would I need one return on each end?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
This one will work fine.
Some observations,
  • This sump is an 'old school' wet/dry design. These work in outstanding fashion as biological filtration, but they are very noisy! The water with trapped air coming out of the hose from the tank will cause a lot of bubbling and gurgling. Not a problem for a fish room or a place with a separate sump location. But, if that one is going in your living room or something, it could be a deal breaker..
  • The newer type sumps typically utilize filter socks mounted over the discharge hose end(s). The hose end(s) are placed down in the water of the sump. These will run a bit quieter.
  • In their most basic form for these sumps, water leaving the first chamber (filter socks) is either directed under the first bulkhead, or overflows that first bulkhead and enters the media chamber. The water flow then either goes under or over the bulkhead on the opposite site of the media chamber to ensure that flow is directed through the filtration media. The last chamber typically has the submersible return pump in it.
  • If you plan to place this sump under your aquarium? Ensure that the height of this sump is low enough (the gap is big enough between the top of the sump and the bottom of the tank), that you can easily get into the sump with both of your hands and arms to make adjustments or do any maintenance.

Reactions: PhxBuckeye

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I officially have my first acrylic tank. I axed the manufacturer I paid to build a 285 for me and picked up this 400 gallon that's 2 1/2 years old and has 1" acrylic.

I want to clean it up a bit before bringing in the stand and starting set-up process. I've heard conflicting things about weather I can used a little white vinagar to wipe it down. Anyone have acrylic tanks and give me some advice here? What can I used for a cloth/sponge?

TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
710 Posts
I officially have my first acrylic tank. I axed the manufacturer I paid to build a 285 for me and picked up this 400 gallon that's 2 1/2 years old and has 1" acrylic.

I want to clean it up a bit before bringing in the stand and starting set-up process. I've heard conflicting things about weather I can used a little white vinagar to wipe it down. Anyone have acrylic tanks and give me some advice here? What can I used for a cloth/sponge?

TIA
My tanks are acrylic. Not sure about the vinegar, but I would use only a clothe rag and soap + water, no chemicals whatsoever. Make sure there is no sand or any debris anywhere that can find its way in between your rag and the acrylic as you clean or else it will cause scratches.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My tanks are acrylic. Not sure about the vinegar, but I would use only a clothe rag and soap + water, no chemicals whatsoever. Make sure there is no sand or any debris anywhere that can find its way in between your rag and the acrylic as you clean or else it will cause scratches.
Hey Ken,

Thanks for the reply. What soap would you use?

TIA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts