Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post. I been looking around but cant find the info i need. I just relocated all of my tropicals due to agression and other issues (my wife wanted her fish back in her tank too). Now i find myself with an empty 75gallon fully cycled and just sitting. I wound up with a fire eel and a few yoyo loaches then my wife started pointing out that i could do a cichlid tank. I started doing research and got the tank set up for my eel and cichlids. Then yesterday i saw 5 juvenile acei at my lfs and before i knew it i had them in my car. Then at another shop i found some tiny labs that i thought were the same size as the acei but they are only about 1" while the acei are almost 2". Basically my question is what i should put in my tank with the acei. I can return the labs if it opens up my options more. I also know that the best way to go would be
1m:4f acei
1m:4f lab
1m:4f rusty (not exactly what i want)
1m:4f cyno (having hard time finding in my area)
But i wanted to know if anyone had any other ideas. I want a lot of color but not too expensive. Also easier to find fish would make me happy.
Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Almost forgot. I like the p saulosi, but i keep reading that they cant be mixed with labs because they are the same color but all any lfs have around here are orange and blue.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I'd actually leave the tank for the eel.

If we disregard the eel, I would allow the labs to grow to 1.5" before adding them to the acei. Saulosi CAN be mixed with labs...but why have the tank all yellow/orange? Maybe swap the labs and cynos for saulosi instead and stock 3m:9f saulosi with the 1m:4f acei and call the tank stocked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. The eel is still only about 4 inches long so i have a little time. Next spring im getting a 150 gallon and by the time it is cycled i think will be about when i need more space. I only got the eel because someone told me itd be great in a cichlid tank and they arent something we normally see around here.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
It's a carnivore. Another reason to skip the one inch labs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He was previously in a tank with really small less than half an inch juvenile corys and never bothered them even when they were napping right at the entrance to his cave. But either way he is getting moved soon. My wife has a plan for him and a 200gallon. Also thanks for the help on everything. I think i know what im going to do now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts