Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my ammonia test came back zero a few days ago for the 30 gal *** been cycling, so i went to the lfs and picked up a pair of firemouth cichlids. I know they're from different continents, but I'm wondering if I could add my Gold Occelatus shellies to the tank. params are pH: 7.5 temp: 78F Dh:10, which seems to satisfy the requirements for both species.
The shellies are not getting along in the 10g *** been keeping them in, despite my best attempts at breaking line of sight. The tank was very peaceful until my breeding female died about a week ago, her mate is now harrassing the other two girls, and theyre constantly in the top corners behind the filter and heater and starting to look pale and stressed out.
I've read that firemouths can be fairly accepting of other species unless they spawn, and theyre only about 2" now. I'd like to keep upgrading, and I think a 55g is next, so the arrangement would be temporary and the firemouths could be moved out in a few months if they get too big and mean for the shellies to handle, and the shellies would have more space in the meantime. 10g is obviously too small, and i guess i was just lucky before now
Just looking for opinions, any input is appreciated :thumb:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'd think they'd be ok initially, but problems would occur. I keep my African tanks around 8 ph, but i know many come farm raised from Florida now where ph is much more neutral. Personally I wouldn't do it, though I don't even like my pleco in the African tanks..

·
Registered
705 Posts
as a temp situation ya it could work. if anything drop the two punked females into a nice little chunk of tank (divide it off from the firemouths) and let them claim some turf. then add the male and maybe toss the firemouths into the ten gallon until u get a bigger tank for them

1 - 3 of 3 Posts