Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*** read somewhere that firemouth best like to breed in small groups, and if so, would a 33 gal be enough for 2 pairs?
Or should it only be 1 pair?
or should it be 1 male 2 females?
what is your suggestion for firemouth in a 33 gal?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I would say 1 pair is all your tank will handle long term. I think your going to need a 4ft tank at the least to have real success with more than 1 pair.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
A 33 gal will only handle 1 pair. Also where did you read that Firemouths like to spawn in groups? Firemouths don't spawn in groups. And even 2 pairs in a 4ft tank is rather risky! Firemouths like all cichlids vary in personality. Some live up to their suggested potential and the rest don't. In this case some Firemouths are rather laid back and good for community's as they are known for and others are WAY too aggressive! I think 2 pairs would be alright in a 75 gal but that's the smallest tank I would go. 2 pairs is asking A LOT for a 55 gal. I have heard of 1 pairs of Firemouths in a 55 gal being really aggressive and adding tankmates to be a challenge.

I would say buy 6 juvie Firemouths with about 5 Swordtails ratio being: 1 M and 4 F. And then wait for a pair. When the pair have established remove the remaining Firemouths and take them back to the LFS! I have found when breeding cichlids to just have a pair per tank when it comes to : 20 gal-55gal. Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
2 pairs is asking A LOT for a 55 gal.
True for the most part. I think alot of that has to do with whether or not you leave the fry with the parents . Leaving them in there will have the parents guarding them for longer and as the fry move around they will come into conflict with the other pairs territory. Removing them once they are free swimming helps to eleminate alot of that. I suppose it comes down to how you manage things. I've done multiple pairs in a 55g without problems , but I removed the fry. If one doesn't intending on breeding them , then one pair and let nature take its course. Not trying to argue with you CL , just my 2 cents . :wink:

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Not trying to argue with you CL , just my 2 cents .
I know your not! Seriously it all goes by opinions and experience. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean your trying to argue and it usually won't lead to arguing! If someone doesn't agree with me it's cool! I won't try and argue because its your opinion! I believe it could work and I could see it work if you remove the fry quickly and make the pairs have breeding spots on opposite sides of the tank and not have them spawn in the center by leaving an open space. And I will admit I do not have any experience with 2 pairs in one tank. I just don't won't to try and attempt it unless it's big enough like a 75 gal or a 125 gal. I am just happy with one pair in a tank and the cichlids like it as well! I am just going by what will make the cichlids happy and which in turn will make me happy! I have just found that sticking with one pair in one tank is AWESOME enough and the best for me! Also I am going through experience with my Sajica and through them I have found to just have one pair per tank and don't add any tankmates!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.