Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 75 gallon tank and i would like to know if i could have 4 firemouths and 2 convicts or would that be pushing it for space?
rusty wessel was in edmonton this weekend and brought some firemouths from his fish room and i missed out on getting them :(

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Hey rED O,
It could work, but it might be a bit tricky, to say the least.
I'm not sure exactly what your intentions are for these guys, so it's hard for me to give you any definitive answers.

What I'm envisioning is a breeding pair of each, which would result in having two non-paired firemouths. If that were the case, then my 'hope' would be that each pair spawns on the far opposite ends of the tank. With the right aquascaping, this could work for quite some time. But then the question is, what happens with the two non-paired firemouths? Do they serve as dithers/targets for the spawning pairs? Do they get themselves killed by being in the way? Or live their lives up at the water's surface behind a heater or filter intake tube? An even bigger question---what would you do about all the fry?

Anyway, that should give you some things to think about when deciding what you'd want to gain out of this particular setup. Mull it over and then let us know more about what your intentions are. ;)

BV

·
Registered
869 Posts
IMO: First off this could work. Where the problems could come from are if you get a pair from the firemouths. You could also end up with a pair of convicts or a convict trying to pair with one of the other firemouths (with cons it really could happen). If this were to happen you very well could have some problems. If you want to try this I would say have a back up plan just in case you end up with multiple pairs or even just one pair that then terrorizes the rest of the group.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I only see this working in one scenario. Two female convicts. Hopefully if there is pairing up, it will stay withing the FM's. Anytime a con is involved in breeding, it's potentially a bad situation.

Hopefully two female cons and only one pair of FM's would be able to somehow work out.

It's not something I would do. I doubt a LFS would take Convict or FM fry, and that combination just sounds like a headache.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Personally I can see this working but I think it will be more mayhem than anything! If you had a 125 then I would say go for it. But I am kind of iffy about a 75 gal or a 55 gal. I personally don't like community tanks unless its a big enough tank like 125. The reason why is because it has more of a risk of crossbreeding and can cause big problems stocking wise. When I want to breed a cichlid I give the whole tank to the pair. Even if you try your hardest to sex them sometimes it isn't accurate and it turns out that you have Males and Females of different species in one tank. Which leads to accidental crossbreeding.

If you really want to have a pair of FM's and Convicts I would buy 6 Juvie Firemouths and place them in the 75 gal until a pair forms then take the rest to the LFS. Then go out and buy a Male and 2 Female Convicts and wait until a pair forms and then take the extra Female back to the LFS and heavily aquascape with rocks, caves, plants, and driftwood.

I am actually afraid that your Male or even your Female Convict will breed with either your Male or Female Firemouth. Convicts are very well known of doing this! And yes it can happen with any cichlid but Convicts are always WANTING to spawn!! :roll: Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
149 Posts
All cichlids are different because of their individual temperaments.
Therefore, the aquascape will be the deciding factor. You will need at least 4 types of caves that do not face each other and have floating plants. This will add a lot of hiding places and allow for multiple breeding pairs in one tank.
Finally dither fish will be important also. I would use swordtails.
HTH, Rich

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, I'm fairly new to breeding cichlids, so I've never heard of cons crossing with firemouths. :-? Had a pair of cons once, years ago when I knew squat about them, and they bred before I knew I even had a male and a female. Worked in a pet store at the time so it was easy enough to get rid of the fry after a few weeks of growing them in the tank with their parents. This was in a 10 gallon tank BTW. Mind you, this was when I was newly employed there, before I learned a lot. Frankly, it sounds like it could make for an interesting cross breed as long as they are not put out on the market. :popcorn:

·
Registered
992 Posts
If you want to mix Convicts and Firemouths in a 75 gallon. The simplest way is 4 fish, one mated pair of each. How you get to that point is trickier. With Cons it is easy, a male and a female, leave them, they'll be sorted. Sexing Firemouths is trickier. 2 pair in a 75 usually works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts