Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 2 firemouth.Both were spitting food.after 7 days 1 of them died.after 2 days other one died.i again bought 1 firemouth and he is also spitting food.I dont know why.Rest fishes in the tank are fine.plzz help me i dont want to loose this one also.
Tankmates are
Green terror
Parrot fish
Convict
Green terror
No one is bullying him.little bit of chasing nothing else

·
Premium Member
4,684 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having problems. :(
Hmmmm... what do the Firemouth's poops look like? Are they normal-looking? (Like pretty much everyone else's in the tank?). Or, are they clear and white. Stringy looking?

·
Premium Member
4,684 Posts
If they have those stringy, whitsh/clear poops then your Firemouths may have Bloat. Treat for that.
Otherwise,
- Has the place you purchased the Firemouths had any of the same problems with their fish?
If not? Your new fish may be getting their gills injured when you first place them into your aquarium. Fish with damaged gills will have little energy and will most likely refuse food (painful to eat).
- How did the fish react when first placed in the aquarium? Did they sit on the bottom, breathing heavily? Not moving, unless chased by another fish?
- When you first received them, how did you adjust your Firemouths to the new water of your aquarium? Did you take your time and VERY Slowly add water from the aquarium to the water they came from?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For first two days he was eating so it seems that he has not bloat also he was moving nicely when i added him.may be he is stressed.How to make him eat any suggestion

·
Premium Member
4,684 Posts
Well, you could try raising the temperature of the tank slightly. Temporarily raising the water temperature two degrees or so will increase your fish's metabolism rate and can stimulate a better appetite. Depending on how warm the tank is already though, you may have to add a bubbling air stone or something to keep the water oxygenated. I would not heat the water up beyond 26.5 - 28C for this.
You could also try adding garlic to the food. Cichlids esp. Herbivorous or Omnivorous types (like your Firemouth), will almost always respond very well to garlic supplements added to their food.
More info on that here,

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishfo ... te.173328/

And lastly, placing new fish directly to a community tank is never a good idea. Best practice is to quarantine new arrivals for a few weeks first, to determine if the new fish is healthy enough to be added to the community tank. Plus, a sick fish that emerges in quarantine is much easier to treat with medications than an entire community tank, that may be otherwise healthy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think my firemouth is not eating because it is afraid of bigger fish and not feeling comfortable.i had to bought a bigger fish.

·
Premium Member
4,684 Posts
That's too bad. And, I'm sorry you couldn't save him. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts