Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed the last couple months that I have fine debris circulating in my tank, I guess it's just the substrate or sand? This is a 150 gallon aquarium with a Fluval FX7 filter as well as an additional powerhead for circulation. My fish are happy and my water parameters are good (PH 7.2, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 10-15). I do 30% water changes every three weeks with RO water. Anything I can do to clear this up and help "polish" my water a bit?

·
2,088 Posts
Perhaps finer media in the filter? I've had good luck with the sponge prefilters for powerheads.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've noticed this problem in my 450gal. I have two Aqua Illumination lights and when they are at 1%-2% the water looks crystal clear, but when they are at 50% (for about 30mins a day) I notice alot of particles floating everywhere. The water also has a strong odor. I do 65% weekly water changes.

1. Fine particles: I'm thinking this is actually pieces of waste, which eventually gets sucked into the overheads leading to the sump filter. I started using fine filter floss, which has made a positive difference. Still working on this issue though.
2. Odor: I put 4 liters of Purigen in my sump last week and this doesn't seem to have made a huge difference. I bought some activated carbon which I plan to use after my scheduled water change in two days.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I stay on top of my filter cleanliness pretty well but maybe I need to be even more diligent with rinsing and adding in clean "polishing" pads.

·
Registered
690 Posts
TK220 said:
I've noticed the last couple months that I have fine debris circulating in my tank, I guess it's just the substrate or sand? This is a 150 gallon aquarium with a Fluval FX7 filter as well as an additional powerhead for circulation. My fish are happy and my water parameters are good (PH 7.2, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 10-15). I do 30% water changes every three weeks with RO water. Anything I can do to clear this up and help "polish" my water a bit?
FX7?

You just need a finer padding / stuffing. In my FX5s I put a big hand full of pillow stuffing on top of the last bio basket and my water was perfectly clear.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts