Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as you can see i am finding high nitrates in my tap water. Its somewhere in between 50 and 100, which is a bit too high. I would like to keep using tap water because the other parameters are perfect for malawis.
What can i possibly do to lower these nitrates without having to buy expensive stuff?
Keeping in mind that i do weekly water changes of about 25gallons.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
taxxara said:
Well, as you can see i am finding high nitrates in my tap water. Its somewhere in between 50 and 100, which is a bit too high. I would like to keep using tap water because the other parameters are perfect for malawis.
What can i possibly do to lower these nitrates without having to buy expensive stuff?
Keeping in mind that i do weekly water changes of about 25gallons.
I don't know of an effective way to lower nitrates in an aquarium. There are some DIY dentrification contraptions I've seen but I'm skeptical of them. You could try tons of plants, but it would take a lot of fast growing plants, and probably CO2. Plants and malawis don't really mix well.

The best option might be an RO filter, then buffer the water back up to what it needs to be.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use Nitra-zorb. My nitrates are around 40ppm out of the tap. i can get them down to 10ppm with the stuff. and it is rechargeable. you can use it for 2 months.

·
Registered
114 Posts
no, it is city water. i have not tested in a few weeks. it may have just been a temporary thing. my tank has only been up & running since november. need to check the tap again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nitra-zorb sounds effective. How do you use it? Do you just treat the water you are going to add to your tank or to you put it in tank's filter.
When you said use it for 2 months, you mean you change it every 2 months?

I was also thinking of another option.. I have a koi pond and the parameters are ideal. Can i maybe use water from it?? Of course the main problem is the possibility of introducing a disease to my tank.
Is there a way of maybe sterilising the water before adding it to the tank?
Im just thinking aloud here..
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
114 Posts
it is a filter media type pouch that goes into my canister. i remove it every 5 days or so & soak for 2 hrs in a solution of 4 TB salt in 8 oz of water, rinse & put back in the canister. it has brought my nitrates down from 40ppm after the tank was done cycling to 5ppm before fish were added. i still do regular water changes. i coald not get the nitrates down below 40ppm when i was done cycling & i had done 3 major water changes. then i thought to test the tap water & found that the tap water was 40ppm. i am very happy with.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am on a well and I have the same problem. I'm in the process of setting up a sump with an algea scrubber. Do a search on here or google and you'll find tons of info on them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a good option but having a sump is not possible with my current setup.
Therefore im currently doing a setup where i remove the nitrates with nitra-zorb. Then i use the nitrate free water for water changes.
I hope it will work.
Will post results..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts