Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, i have finally gotten my 55g tank all set up..... water went in today and obviously is still cloudy.... questions i have are this...

how long til i can add fish....

how many fish should i put in a tank of size, and what species..

and where can i get fish of a certain species, my local fish store only seems to carry certain types, and not too many of the ones i have read about on this forum.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Jeditwin said:
Ok guys, i have finally gotten my 55g tank all set up..... water went in today and obviously is still cloudy.... questions i have are this...

how long til i can add fish....
Have you put an established filter on the tank? If not, I'd recommend doing a fishless cycle. See the link below for some guidance:

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/fishless/fishless.html

It'll be about 4-6 weeks before your tank is ready for fish...unless you can get a filter, substrate or rocks from an established tank to seed your new 55 g.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes both of my filters have come from an established tank.... the substrate i used on the bottom, came from a tank that i had already up and running... it was a 30 g tank.... i have 3 babie cichlids in there with 3 others.... not to sure on the names, as i am new to this....

i am really enjoying this very much, and dont want to screw up by getting the wrong fish and what not.....

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
It's great that you're trying to do this right by asking questions on here. :thumb: If you could take some photos of the fish you have and post them in the Unidentified Cichlid group people can tell you what you have. That'll help determine what you can add and how many.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Regarding adding fish to the 55g. As soon as your water is clear (why is it obvious that it's cloudy? water shouldn't be cloudy...) and the temperature has stabilized, you can just switch your fish/filters over. Established tank water/substrate/rocks would be helpful, too, but you should be fine with the filters.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Jeditwin said:
yes both of my filters have come from an established tank.... the substrate i used on the bottom, came from a tank that i had already up and running... it was a 30 g tank.... i have 3 babie cichlids in there with 3 others.... not to sure on the names, as i am new to this....

i am really enjoying this very much, and dont want to screw up by getting the wrong fish and what not.....
You need to figure out what "cichlids" and "others" you have and if you plan on keeping these. "Cichlids" if pretty vague and you may not be able to house these in a 55g. Also, you should get a test kit for your water and at least test Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH if you can. 55 gallon tank is a nice starter tank with lots of options. Good Luck, lots can be learned on the forum.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Jeditwin said:
.... i have 3 babie cichlids in there with 3 others.... not to sure on the names, as i am new to this....
I would go with Larry, Curly and Moe. :D

All kidding aside, if you can post some pictures (or even describe their colours) we can help you identify them.

kevin

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I see a yellow lab for sure. I also think, hard to tell b/c of the pictures, there is a red zebra and some kind of psuedotropheus or cynotilapia.

I'm no mathematician, but that looks like more than 6 fish :lol:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, I added more than the initial 6..... I will try and get better pictures..... I hope to get a bunch of better ones.... I really would like for you guys to see what I have, species speaking of course......

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Try some shots with a flash. Even if the colours are washed out we'll get a better idea on the shapes.

kevin

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tank is doing well..... Everyone seems to be getting along nicely for the most part... I have a mixed bunch of Africans, I really didn't follow the cookie cutter recipe for the 55g tank setup...

Question, How can you tell who the males are and who the females are?

I have two Cichlids, that look pink, with a patchy black pattern... and one of them seems to be the King... He has made home in the biggest cave, I have in the tank...

Help, comments, questions....

Thanks

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Pretty much impossible to tell you which are males and which are females if we do not know the species. There are over 1500 species of cichlid.

Everything goes fine until your fish mature, thats when the true personality of the fish show.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok fair enough, though I do feel that through my reading of the forums I think I may have added a mixed bunch of Africans.... I am hoping that they all get along, and I haven't failed my first attempt to make a beautiful and rewarding Cichlid tank.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.