Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been about 2 years since i have had the time, the money or the space to keep cichlids. This will be the first time i have been able to plan everything in advance and actually have some idea of what i am doing as opposed to my previous tanks which were a learn as you go process. This is a smaller tank as far as cichlids go but i wi be keeping dwarf cichlids to make up for the size of the tank. I will also be doing my first try at fishless cycling. I will be buying new parts as they are needed since i do not have the money to buy everything at once. I already had the tank, the stand and the filters from a previous set up. Here goes! I just finished cutting and installing eggcrate for the first time alone with a glass top. I will be replacing the light with Marineland Double Brite LED once i get some more money. And i have ordered a slimline 3D background from Design's By Nature. I am very excited about the background. I have never had a 3D background before either!

Accomplished today:

background ordered:

Planned Equipment:
29 Gallon Tank
Design's By Nature Slimline 3D Background
Eco Complete Cichlid Sand (black/white speck)?
Large granite landscape rocks
Glass Top
2 AquaClear 30gal Filters
MarineLand Double Bright LED System
Marineland 100w heater with thermostat
Eheim Everyday Fish feeder
Rubber mat under tank to protect carpet

Planned Stock:
Pseudotropheus Saulosi

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hmmmm pictures didn't work...%^&$# How do i make it work on Flicker? i tried right clicking on the picture but "properties" is not one of the options?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Very well planned out for the tank you have, look forward to seeing this updated as you move forward! :thumb:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i located a landscape rock yard in my area to pick up the granite. now all i have to do is wait on the background in the mail. i'm so excited! :dancing:

·
Registered
625 Posts
It looks like he is going for a species only Ps. saulosi tank.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep. single species for this tank. its not a very big tank so i don't want to add more problems by throwing in another species and Ps. Saulosi has blue males and yellow/orange females so i will still have some nice colour :thumb:

I did have a question about fishes cycling if anyone knows the answer:
Do i have to have a heater to start my cycle or will it still cycle in cold water? It would, wouldn't it? Goldfish tanks cycle and they are cold. I just don't have the money to get a heater yet but i would still like to start the cycle soon

·
Registered
625 Posts
A heater is not necessary, but higher temperatures accelerate the process.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
background came today! :D the overall colour is a little darker than i was expecting but it still looks good. makes me think for sure that i will go with a lighter colour sand though. all i need to do next is take my scraps with me to the landscaping yard to pick out some rocks that will match. i didn't even end up having ti silicone in on. After i cut off the excess the fit was so good that with the egg crate wedged against the bottom and after i get the rocks and the sand on the egg crate that thing won't be going anywhere :thumb:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and i barely had to cut off anything
[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
going to pick to sand today but i have a question. I HAD planned on getting cichlid mix by seachem to help raise the PH but i just got my water testing kit in the mail and the PH is 7.5 out of the tap. if the fish i am getting need a 7.8, is it close enough that i could i just use pool filter sand and add a little buffer? because the pool filter sand is much cheaper...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Go with PFS. Buffering substrate really doesn't do that noticeable of a job anyways. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
IMHO PFS aka Pool Filter Sand will be fine. Also IMO your PH is fine a few points off isn't bad.

My PH is naturally 7.8 I need it lower though. LOL! If u feel that u NEED to higher the PH you can use crushed coral.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
got pool filter sand today. not happy. it is too dark and a kind of odd grey colour. guess i will be forking over the money for the expensive cichlid mix. I am wasting a lot of money on things that i don't end up liking. I bought 100 pounds of granite stones and did not like the way they looked. They were too light compared to the background. So, today i bought $50 worth of black lava rock figuring it would match the background better and the lava rock is too red compared to the background and add on top of that the pool filter sand i bought today....i am NOT a happy camper!

·
Registered
426 Posts
I hope you maybe can get your money back for at least some of the stuff lol I used pfs and it is really bright white. maybe you should look at another brand at different pool stores.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Why buy so much when you could buy one stone and see how it matches? But yeah PFS varies based on where you get it, mine is basically white

1 - 20 of 42 Posts