Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me know what you Tanglovers think of these. Do you think Ill have any compatability issues? :drooling:

8 cyp "Kekese" tri-color
6 Callochromis pleurospilus "Flame Rainbow"
6 transcriptus gombi
6 caudopunctatus
8 gold Ocellatus
6 multifasciatus

THat is all!!

Im going to try to put shellies in 20 gallon for now. See how it goes.

The rest will go in my 120.

Any coments or suggestions on these fish would be appreciated. Any special husbandry you can think of?

*** never had Callochromis, caudopunctatus. NOt to concerned with caudos.
ANyways IM super Jacked!!! :dancing:

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Too many bottom dwellers and double the cyps. Is this a 72" long tank?

When you say the shellies will go in a 20G do you mean both the occies and the multies?

·
Registered
73 Posts
the callochromis will definatly NOT get along with any shell dweller.. either get the callochromis or a shell dweller for your 120, not both

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Too many bottom dwellers and double the cyps. Is this a 72" long tank?

When you say the shellies will go in a 20G do you mean both the occies and the multies?

When my gombis pair up I will put in own tank.

Keep the info coming I need constructive critisism.

Very interested in Cyp info on gettin so many.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
The Cyps are schooling fish, in the wild they live in schools of millions. The more the better, nothing to do with male aggresion.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Cyps are naturally a shoaling fish and therefore the natural conclusion is the more you have the better the fish will feel. Regarding your original stock list I always think that less is more when it comes to tangs. It depends what you want from your tank really. If you want to see natural behaviour with established territories, breeding behaviour with some fry survival then cut down your stock list. If you want an active tank with plenty going on then go for it. It may work in the way you want. One thing I am assuming is that you are suggesting 6 of each to obtain pairs only. Good luck.

·
Registered
705 Posts
change ur ideas up a bit bro. 2 shellies will not work in most setups. the dominant group will kill off the others.. sooner or later. that or the risk of hybrids. id keep the cyps julies, multi's, and MAYBE caudopunks IF you can give em enough rockery to use. GL to ya sounds like a good start so far.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a fair amount of experience with shellies have bred most. I have had pearly ocellatus and gold ocellatus in 50 gallon 4 by 16 inch aquarium. The pearlies males were dominant but not trashing my gold males. I bred each many times in that aquarium with little to no split fins. I know 20 is short term. I just had to order my fish in 1 shot because shipping is so much. I will set up more aquariums in near future.

Im concerned about callos and me only have 8 cyps to start. I will raise the first few batches of fry and keep them. Little concerned about my gombis being 1.5 inches as opposed all my other fish are 1.25"

I could put multis in big tank. I have not decided quit yet. I also have 5 gallon if im desperate.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Starplayer, Yea buying 6 of each was in hope of gettin 2 pairs of each. My local petstores dont cary tangs. So I am hoping to kind of fill a niche. We will see. If i had it my way, would of ordered like 5 more species. Next time. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bod, I think you will be overstocked if you expect 2 pairs of each of your list to exist in even a 6ft tank. That said, if it works out for you then you will have a great tank. The welfare of you stock must take priority though so have a back up plan for your fish. Hope it works out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts