Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am happy to say that I ordered some fish today, and it looks like they will be here on Wednesday. I oredered 8 yellow labs, and 12 Mainganos. I couldnt order all of the species that I wanted, due to cash flow, but I will be ordering more within the next few weeks.

The other species I am interested in....thanks to DJRansome for his help....are White top Hara's, Demasoni, and Metraclima Estherae. I was also thinking of Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" Ngara White tail instead of the yellow tail.

I noticed on the sellers website that is Red Zebras were actually RED...lol. They were called cherry red zebras. Does anyone know if these fish are hybrids? Or are they from another lake? Dosent really say much in the description, and didnt see any additional info in the profiles.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Nice start! I have labs and maingano, they are a good mix. The rest of your fish should work except demasoni, they are virtually the same color and temperament.

PM me the link, it is most likely line bred or a hybrid. I am interested to see a cherry red mbuna.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
The cherry reds are just line-bred and they are still orange. The orange blur behind the demasoni in my avatar is a cherry red.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I ordered the Mainganos first, thinking that I may not go with Demasoni later. If I do, it was recommended to me to do over 12 demasoni. I figured the Mainganos were a bit different looking from them to put both in the same tank. So many decisions!!! LOL

Joel....sending pm

·
Registered
291 Posts
Had maingano for about a year now (with yellow labs) and have really enjoyed them. They can be pretty feisty, but I have only had 1 death over the year and I chalk it up to an imbalance of m/f which has been corrected :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BoilerFan said:
Had maingano for about a year now (with yellow labs) and have really enjoyed them. They can be pretty feisty, but I have only had 1 death over the year and I chalk it up to an imbalance of m/f which has been corrected :)
That's why I ordered 12 of them. I figured I would get the right ratio after they have grown. They are great looking fish. :thumb:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJRansome said:
The cherry reds are just line-bred and they are still orange. The orange blur behind the demasoni in my avatar is a cherry red.
So they stand out in color a little more than the other Red Zebras? They are great looking, and would make a nice addition to the other colors in the tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I've only ever had the cherry reds. I don't see a huge difference though.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Basically there's "red" morph and "orange" morph - the cherry red's are just a particularly bring line of red morph that has been line bred to enhance that trait.

What I find funny is that in the wild the red zebra male is actually blue. We only have the well-known "red" red zebra male because they were line-bred from a small number that were found in the wild.

Personally, I have blue males in my tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.