Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my set up. Put some CaribSea black/white sand in it. The bag stated that I didn't have to wash it. Big Mistake. Let it sit for 2 days and still cloudy with no progress. Went home today to change out the water and clean the sand. Hopefully it clears by tomorrow.

Can't wait to put my convicts in their new home. One of the females is beginning to color very nicely. Her bottom fin is all black now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like the convicts are looking for a spot to lay eggs. I thought the female was too small (about 2 inches) to produce eggs but both have finally paired up and the fighting has stopped. The male finally lets the female swim with him.

They are both moving gravel/sand with their mouths and also fanning the area (with their body) to remove sand/gravel. I removed all the sand from one of the flower pots so hopefully the female notices it.

First time I get to witness this. Sweet!

·
Registered
901 Posts
We've had convicts spawn as small as 1" for females. The male was about 2" and as tall as he was long. Bulky, square fish he was hehe.

Love convicts :)

Did they spawn in the pot like you'd planned?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whats up man. The female was digging everywhere in the tank and finally decided to spawn right in front of the pot. It's fun to watch one convict take care of the fry while the other chases the other fishes away then vice versa. The male usually takes his time to come back to the fry.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Found the same thing with mine. Mum wanted to take care of the fry and Dad wanted to beat the snot out of anything else in the area.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the fry are around 2 weeks old and the female today was alone at the top of the tank while the male was guarding the fry. Then I noticed fins gone from the female. Looks like the female ate some of the fry and the male is now guarding them against anyone that comes by. It was a good couple while they lasted.

Only 10 babies now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well none of the babies survived. So... now the pair has another set of eggs that are attached to the flower pot. It's been almost 2 days, so they should be hatching soon.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yeah they mate ALL THE TIME - mine have a new batch every 3 weeks

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah cons are an amazing fish all the way around, love them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So the male killed the female. This is the second time he tried to kill the female after having babies. The first time, I removed the remaining babies and they were able to get along again and have a second batch of kids. This time, I just kept the male and female together with the 50 babies in a 15G. I read of stories similar to mine on the net.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yup, my male killed his first female, make sure you have a place for the female to hide and get away from the male that he can't get into.

I honestly just got the meanest female I could find and put her with him... they've been happy as clams ever since

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.