Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife didn't want another tank but I had my heart set on a tang tank so I made it happen. About a month ago I traded some fishing tackle for a 55gal. that way she wouldn't be mad that I spent money on it. Of course that didn't factor in the cost of new filters and fish, but the trade was already complete, so I had to go through with it :D .

So I got the tank up and running with an established XP2 from my 75gal and moved my occies in from a 20gal that I took down. Then a week ago I saw some fish labeled alto comps nangu black at my local fish store and picked up a few. Then a couple days ago I finally received the fish I originally wanted to set the tank up around, xeno bathyphilus. Also got some paracyps.

So now I can just sit back and enjoy the tank. I'm a happy camper. Comps and Paracyps are still juvies and the xenos are small, but sifting away! So the tank has a lot of maturing to do.

Here's a video soon after all the fish got acquainted with each other. The spray bar was going full blast so the fish were swimming against the current, but I've lowered the flow since, so they can relax a bit.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Agreed, nice stocking list, love xenos and paracyps, good combo. Only thing I'd change is to eventually add a rock wall in the back with some caves for the paracyp males. I use a combo of actinic blue and daylight bulb to bring out the neon blue in them.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I do like rocks but with the narrow width of a 55 I wanted to leave as much open sand as I could for the xenos and a rock wall in back would definitely impose on them. But I'll definitely consider adding more rocks.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
The round boulders you have look cool, but they take up rather a lot of space without creating many caves. If you want to preserve space, you could use a wall out of comparatively flat rocks that you lean against the back wall. That creates caves, but takes up little space. prov356 is the master in that kind of aquascaping. I just converted a couple of my own tanks to that look since seeing his setups :thumb:

·
Registered
73 Posts
i used to have rocks like that set up till recently.. after restocking my 55 i ended up aquascaping it with some flat pieces of holey rock and sandstone to create a series of caves all connecting. seems like 2 julies are paired up at each end of the tank in the corners and my cyps 'sleep' in the caves.. the bn and syno even hide and in there.. still leaves plenty room for my callochrimis to sift & chase each other

·
Registered
158 Posts
Eric I like the set up you have. 55 tanks are tough. Keeping sand sifters, cave and shell dwellers in a tank that size can be a challenge. And since the sweetheart barely let you get this tank I'm sure a bigger one is out of the question.....lol We've all been there. Sooner or later theyre going to need more space. I posted some pics earlier this month that can give you some ideas. Put lace rocks in the corners, elevate the shellies, make caves underneath and leave the whole middle open for the sand sifters. It doesnt have to look like mine ....but there are ways to create more space. And yes I agree- Prove356 is a pro with the tanks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I saw your tank with the elevated shellies. I thought that was awesome. I thought of doing something similar awhile back when I had 4 occies in standard 20gal that weren't getting along. But I didn't know how to do it so I just bought another 10 gal tank and did 2 in each tank.

Thanks for the tips guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts