Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been finishing my basement off and on when I have time and finally finished. Time to celebrate! Just wanted to post some pics and show of my pride and joy :)

From the Front:

From the rear:

DIY sump/trickle filter:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Looks awesome, I definitely want to do one of those.

Do you have more light?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks its one of the funnest fish projects I've done and certainly the funnest part of doing the basement.

I will have more light. Right now I just have one home depot light sitting on the tank and the top of the glass lid is dusty while the bottom has some algae on it. I was thinking I would put one more set of home depot florescent lights and might put a blacklight in for one of the bulbs to see how that looks. I will hopefully do that this weekend and I'l post a pic with improved lighting.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Couple quick questions:

What size tank did you use for the sump?

How do you have the media stacked in the bucket? Do you have some dividers separating the layers or how did you go about it?

Probably a better question is did you make a thread for the build on this and I can find my own answers :)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't make a thread when I built the filter, but I need to clean it so I'll probably do that this weekend and post some pics. The tank is a standard 29 gallon. It is a nice size because the ridges of the 5 gallon bucket rest on it. I wouldn't buy a 29 gallon for that purpose, but I had an extra so it worked perfect.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
106 Posts
LOOKS awesome but, i would have put a background on the tank or painted the rear, I just painted my tanks and I don't think ill ever go back. I cannot stand seeing wires, walls, etc etc behind all the fish.

LOOKS GREAT though, I love it!

D

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the kind words. I have thought about painting it but I like to see the fish when i am feeding them from the heater room behind the tank. The only time the stuff behind it is really visible is when the lights are on in that room or, unfortunately, when I take a flash photo from the front.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Have you considered making a rigid backing for the tank that you can lower/remove when you feed the fish? You could just paint a piece of cardboard or acrylic and secure it to the back of the tank. Just an idea. Tanks looks awesome! :thumb:

·
Registered
410 Posts
SAWEEET VERY NICE!

·
Registered
106 Posts
or even a pull down black curtain on a roll.

D

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Problem is, I'm lazy. If I put any kind of removable cover, two weeks later it will be in the removed or 'up' position permanently. one of these days I may drywall the interior of the heater room and paint it black.

·
Registered
16 Posts
tannable75 said:
Thanks for the kind words. I have thought about painting it but I like to see the fish when i am feeding them from the heater room behind the tank. The only time the stuff behind it is really visible is when the lights are on in that room or, unfortunately, when I take a flash photo from the front.
Automobile window tint works great for this. You cant see through the tank when the back room is not illuminated but if the lights are on in the tank you can see from the back to do maintenance and feeding. Got it on my in wall tank.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Entoman said:
tannable75 said:
Automobile window tint works great for this. You cant see through the tank when the back room is not illuminated but if the lights are on in the tank you can see from the back to do maintenance and feeding. Got it on my in wall tank.
That's a great idea. I even have a neighbor in the tinting business........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts