Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this 20 gallon long, and I'm thinking since I only have one tank at the moment, I'll do a nice community. You know, school of small tetras, maybe try Apisto's for the first time. Something peaceful and relaxing ...

Then I walk into the LFS and see this beauty with a hot dorsal fin unlike any of the four dwarves I've kept thus far (noto's twice, colombian wallacii twice, regani and compressiceps). So of course, I have to get it.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Wow! Beautiful pickup!! I wish my LFS were able to get in such beautiful fish... Good luck and I hope we can see some shots of this beauty in the tank! :popcorn:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That might be harder guys, it's truly a blackwater tank with the mopani wood in there. Plus mopani as very uneven edges making for a lot of caves. I'll try, just no promises.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
LOL just awesome dwarfpike. So what are we looking at? Is it a true dwarf pike or a juvenile.

It's not a true black water tank untill you have a few leaves in there with the mopani rootwood. :p

Best time to take a photograph in a black water tank is just after a large 50% plus water change.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DFF - No, it's definitely a dwarf ... I'm just not 100% on which one. The one that matches it the most comes from the Rio Branco in Brazil, which is outside the normal approval Brazilian collection areas.

And yeah, I'll be trying after the water changes, but of course that spooks shy fish and since pikes hide a lot anyway ... it'll be a challenge. But I have nothing better to do so ... :lol:

TFG - Oh no, I know you just want to see a pic of me in a bathing suit trying to fit inside that 20 long. I'm on to you!! Not going to happen!!!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TheFishGuy said:
I would like to see you try though... Please wear a bikini....
Erm ... kids are on this forum, I wouldn't want to scare them for life. :D

On a more fishy related note, this might be something new. I got a response back from a pike expert, and it's new to him. Super excited.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My too, especially with Vin Kutty nor Wayne Leibel recongizing it. I think if I don't find any, I'll even ask about a pet store in Spokane and Portland just to see. Of course, males probably look like the males of every other dwarf species so it might be impossible to tell unless there are more females in tank as well.

First impressions now that she's out ... acting almost like a belly crawler pike, stopping on the sand to watch the neons, staying low to the substrate when swimming, swimming in only short bursts. Very odd. Also seems to prefer ground based caves as opposed to middle of the tank driftwood caves that my other dwarves (except compressiceps) prefered. Might mean it's a rapids dweller like compressiceps and Teleocichla species.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And just to prove to TFG that there really is a tank with a cichlid in it, I took a video. Despite not appearing myself, it is fairly horrid and no one else could possibly take a video this bad. :oops:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Vin said it's nothing he's seen in the US before ... so it might be a new import!!! :dancing:

Wayne Leibel didn't recognize it either. So I posted on the CRC to see if any of the European aquarists have seen it before.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Success!!!

Tentatively of course. It seems Oliver Lucanus has pics of this dwarf, coming out of the Rio Inirida and being mixed in with the Colombian Wallacii. This very well might be the sp. Iniridae dwarf that Aquatic Clarity was looking at ordering on the list a few weeks ago.

Thanks to Scat for being able to find it for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
could that fish be a young C. sedentaria? looks a bit like it with the color pattern and the spot on the tail fin. if it is it would grow to about 10 inches

1 - 20 of 29 Posts