Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got some help to make the move from the 110 tall to a 150. Took a couple hours to complete, but totally worth it. I think they enjoy the extra 2 feet already.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Very nice setup, I cannot wait until I have the space and funds for a 6' tank! What all is in it?

Edit: nevermind to the stocks, you had already updated it in the tanks section.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, I found my Venustus dead when I was tearing down the tank. He had been acting funny lately. No visible bullying, but I noticed he wasn't acting like himself. He was a beauty too. :(

The Lemon Jake, Stuartgranti Maleri, and Sulfur Head are still in another tank for now. Sulfur Head and Maleri hopefully developing color there and the Lemon is in time out, letting everyone get settled before I put him back in since he was the bully in the 110. Giving him one more shot in the 6 footer before he gets rehomed.

1 Aulonocara maulana 'Bi-Color 500'
1 Aulonocara jacobfreibergi Undu Reef 'Lemon Jake'
1 Aulonocara sp. 'Stuartgranti Maleri' Maleri Island
1 Copadichromis chrysonotus Mumbo 'White Blaze'
1 Nimbochromis venustus
1 Protomelas taeniolatus 'Red Empress'
1 Sciaenochromis fryeri 'Iceberg'
1 Aulonocara lwanda Hai Reef 'Red Top'
1 Placidochromis electra Likoma 'Deep Water'
1 Copadichromis Borleyi 'Mbenji'
1 Dragons Blood/Ruby Red Peacock
1 Aulonocara maylandi 'Sulfur Head'
1 Aulonocara sp. 'Walteri'

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Threw the Lemon and Kavalla back in there last night. We'll see how the Lemon does in the larger tank.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
RRasco-

Is this the tank that had the overflow on one end? if so, how did all of your plumbing issues work out?

Just curious...

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, it is. Keeps up with the flow nicely, a ViaAqua 3600 pushing 1057gph, closer to 800 after head travel. It is loud though, not from the 2" PVC, but from the reducing to 1.25" corrugated. No idea how I'm going to quiet it down now that it is running..

I'll snap some pics when I get home.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
It is loud though, not from the 2" PVC, but from the reducing to 1.25" corrugated
dang... I had feared that would be the case...

The only thing I would recommend is throttling the return to see if you can find an ideal flow rate that minimizes all of the gurgling. Reducing the drain after an overflow is notorious for increasing noise.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Me too. I don't want to reduce the flow rate at all, my 110 was loud, so it's nothing I'm not already used to. Future tanks will definitely be utilizing the bean method, after I confirm it works. I may eventually move this tank to a larger corrugated hose, or even just 2" PVC to see if it helps.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Increasing the size of the hose to the size of the bulkhead will definitely help...

Sweet setup!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you can get a lead on one, I'm up for it..

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Never could find one that big & it also be flexible enough...

Based on the photos - have you considered just running PVC or ABS?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That was my thought..

I was going to use PVC initially, but I don't like it it being rigid all the way to my sump. Doesn't let me move stuff around. Also, I didn't like the idea of not being able to remove the plumbing, unless there is some kind of quick-disconnect for PVC...? The length of the PVC to reach my sump would mean that when I attempted to unscrew the street elbow, the PVC would hit the wall. If there was a way I could 'disconnect' the lower part of the plumbing and remove the street elbow without hitting the wall, I would be open to try it.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
The contraption you seek to do that is called a union...

One end threads over the other... Lowe's, Home Depot, etc..

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I always kinda thought that's what a union was for, but I wasn't sure. Thank. I'm gonna try 2" PVC only and see what happens. Most of the sound I hear is from water flowing over the corrugations in the hose.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
RRasco, very nice set-up! I like the simplicity of the tank; it accentuates the fish. 8)
How is the Lemon Jake holding up?

·
Registered
186 Posts
If the union doesn't work build a canopy. You can honestly build one for well under $50 with only a cordless drill and some paint/stain. Have lowe's cut the lumber, screw it together and paint it. You will be amazed at how much that will quiet the overflow.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
If the union doesn't work build a canopy. You can honestly build one for well under $50 with only a cordless drill and some paint/stain. Have lowe's cut the lumber, screw it together and paint it. You will be amazed at how much that will quiet the overflow.
Glass tops if they completely cover the surface can help a lot too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts