Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I think after about a year, I've got the final set up for my tank. Let me give you guys and gals the run down...

I've got a standard 75 gallon, 4 foot tank with 2 Emperor 400's, and a heater I need to take back on recall with the temp at 78.

What I have right now is 3 Yellow labs, one is for sure a female, she has held before, and I'm not sure about the other 2. I also have 2 Yellow Tail Acei, a male and a female that have mated 3 times already. So here is what I want to do with my tank.

What I am planning on doing is getting 16-20 fish in it. I want to do some mixing, so let me know what everybody thinks about this set up.

If I only have 1 male Electric Yellow, I will go with 1 male, 3-4 females. If I have 2 males, 4 females. I want to bump up the numbers of the Acei to 1 male with 3-4 females to take the pressure off the one female, and then on to the additions. I want to add a group of Placidochromis Electra, but I've never kept them so not sure the ratio. I was thinking 1 male with 2-3 females? Then I wanted to add 4-5 male peacocks to this all, so ideally the final list would be....
4 Electric Yellows 1m:3f
4 Yellow Tail Acei 1m:4f
3 Placidochromis Electra 1m:2f
Aul. Masoni
Sulphur Head
Aul. Lwanda
Aul. Stuartgranti Hai Reef
Aul. sp. German/Ruby Red

Thanks for any info offered!
:fish: :fish: :fish:

G

·
lol you know how many times *** said (outloud and to myself) this is the last time im buying fish lol... then you get stuck with females.. or see another peacock you jus have to have.. or one dies. lol... its never the final stocking.. at least for me it isnt... *** started a list so i know which fish i have to replace if they dont turn out to be males...

G

·
sounds good.. idk i got rid of all my Mbuna cuz its hard to feed mbuna and peacocks properly... mbuna are herbivores and peacocks carnivores... you could jus feed them all nls or veggie flakes... i jus gave my friend all my mbuna and jus stocked up on peacocks, haps and lethrinops... the red top lwanda is a gorgeous fish i jus had a $50 5 inch one die... ill get another eventually.. i have a sulpher head hap not the peacock cuz i had a peacock and that died too lol growing out a german red... amongst other things..l i think you should get a blue orchid peacock they are gorgeous.. i have one growing out now...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
NLS is good for both!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Aulonocara maylandi will not color up with those other more aggressive species. They are dwarf peacocks and look great in a speceis tank, but not so much in a community setting. Other than that though, your list looks good to me. Nothing too big or angry. :)

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
You have a better chance with the Maylandi coloring up over the Kandeensis.
If you keep females with either, you will have a much better chance keeping colorful males. If no females are present, the males will still have a yellow blaze but it will not be as vibrant.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
363 Posts
mattawan_cichlid said:
Anybody else have this same opinion with the Maylandi not coloring up?
I've been breeding them for two years now and have tried solo males in several different community situations. Fairly sure of this one. They'll still have a bit of a yellow blaze, but will be mostly silver and missing that cool dark blue/purple coloration.

My current colony shares a tank with some Nyassachromis broadzulu (similar to the smaller Copadichromis species). They are not aggressive fish and despite the fact that the peacocks are still breeding, the male has very little color since I added the other group to the tank.

Go ahead and give it a shot if you'd like. As long as he's not the smallest starting out, the maylandi isn't going to get killed or anything, just may not be full color. They're still cool, different-looking peacocks.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have a WC Maylandi in an all male and he is really nice. He is one of the bigger ones in the tank so maybe this is why it is working out. I am looking for a male Kandaneese to go with him.

G

·
i had a 5incher that was pretty docile but he got bloat and died so idk if he was jus docile cuz he was sick or that was his demeanor... i will be getting another one soon ill let u know

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
He should be fine. If you introduce all the peacocks at once, I wouldn't worry about it.
I've kept Lwandas over the years and I've never had an issue with any of them.

G

·
ok scratch that i had a blue orchid growing out.. apparently he jumped outa the back of the tank sooooo now i have none lol... jus put plastic bags on the back of all my tanks so that wont happen again...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts