Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've been arguing which species and numbers to keep in my 75. I know this set up isn't ideal, but it's what I think I want, let me know what everyone thinks, or if there is something very very wrong with it.

First off, I'm thinking either 75 or 60 gallon tank, they are both 4 ft long, so they have almost the same footprint, but the 60 has like another few inches in height, or would it not matter. If it doesn't matter I'll go with the 75.

Also, I have 4 electric yellows right now, so I'm still waiting for them to mature so I can sex them, so I have two ideas, one if I have 2 or less males, one if I have 3 or all males.

Set-Up #1 (2 male Yellows)
Electric Yellow Labs 2m:6f
Yellow Tail Acei 1m:4f
Cyrtocara Moori 1m:3f
Giant Demasoni 1m:2f
Aulonacara sp. 1m

Set-Up #2 (more male Yellows)
Electric Yellow Labs 3m:9f or 4m:12f
Yellow Tail Acei 1m:4f
Cyrtocara Moori 1m:3f
Aulonacara sp. 1m

I also have 2 Kenyi, a male and a female, and I plan on getting a 55 gallon to put them in, just that one species, 1m:7f. I will also have a 20 and 29 for hospital/isolation/fry tanks.

Thanks for any input.

Mike :fish: :fish:

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Either #1 or #2 look worth a try to me I'd do the extra species - just know in time you may be unhappy with how the C. Moorii will look in a 4ft tank in a couple of years - they may end up looking kinda cramped - but by that time you will need a 6ft tank anyway :D .

Honestly, its not like you are buying a house or something - if you are unhappy in eight months to a year trade the(some) stock and try something else (or scale back). You have done your research, are aware of potential issues and are prepared with a hospital tank.

I've kept a Ps Acei trio for a couple of years in a 4ft 90gallon tank, I thought they were just fine - just got bored and had to try something new. Larger haps on the otherhand...

Personally, I would get 8 Juvies of each species you plan to keep (and a just sex-able peacock) and stock them all at once. Any real trouble maker males will be gladly accepted by most LFS for trade as the males show good color and move quickly and whittle it down to the 'proper' peaceful ratios as they grow out together.

As for the Kenyii - I wish you luck sir.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.