Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Nice looking tank and I would have no suggestions on improving it. I might caution to watch those yellow/black stripe guys. I personally have sworn off ever having them again. As they mature they may becomes real problems for the other fish. When mine started to turn a rich brown color, they became killers. You may already know to watch them, but if not--look out! The yellow labs are nice guys who will suffer first. Nice tank, nice decor. Enjoy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PfunMo said:
Nice looking tank and I would have no suggestions on improving it. I might caution to watch those yellow/black stripe guys. I personally have sworn off ever having them again. As they mature they may becomes real problems for the other fish. When mine started to turn a rich brown color, they became killers. You may already know to watch them, but if not--look out! The yellow labs are nice guys who will suffer first. Nice tank, nice decor. Enjoy.
Yes, he already is a killer. two weeks ago he killed another fish in less then 20 seconds (also an Auratus). What i don't really understand is: This particular guy is a Melanochromis Auratus (i'm quite shoure). I had some young fishes and the males, as they grow, develop different colorations. I have 3 other Auratus males in the tank now and they are all different (one is blue, oen yellow-black). It seems that just the black and white ones are so agressive. Do you know something about this ? The one he killed was full black.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
If I remember correctly (HAH!) , there is another African cichlid with horizontal stripes which is easily confused with Melanochromis Auratus. Help from others on that ???? I would look for ways to trade the Auratus if you want peace in the tank. Sorry but they are not on my list of fish to keep.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Suggest you might look through the profile section by clicking the header above and look to see if you might find a close match for your fish. Definite ID is hard sometimes but you might find you have another close fish. One might be "Melanochromis chipokae ".

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
that tank probably isn't near large enough for that aratus's aggression, be careful

the most aggressive male will take on the "propper" coloring, the others will display subdom colors, which in some species includes female coloration, the color doesn't control the attitude, the attitude controls the color

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
There's also Mel. parallelus (I think that's it, anyway; check the profiles) that looks similar to your B&W guy.

Rockwork looks good, but I'm also afraid about the size of that tank, given its inhabitants.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Considering your advice, i will remove first the big auratus male. I will try to give all the auratus away. Tha problem is that i must give them away for free and to replace them will be quite an expense :)

I tried for 2 years to find out the perfect mix but as it looks nobody knows it.
Another problem is that in my city there are not manny ciclid lovers so it's a little bit hard to get some fishes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts